Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best way to Gold without regard to location/airport etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

I've been looking into getting back to Star Alliance Gold after a long travel hiatus. What is the easiest way to do it irrespective of home airport, preferred airline etc? In other words, it could be with any *A carrier and it could be achieved anywhere, eg there was once a quick way of getting OW sapphire by doing a certain island hopping tour on JL in Japan; there was a similar scheme for Aegean involving numerous roundtrips within Europe. From what I see the easiest would seem to be a couple of business class roundtrips with Asiana from US or Europe to Korea.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyercity
I've been looking into getting back to Star Alliance Gold after a long travel hiatus. What is the easiest way to do it irrespective of home airport, preferred airline etc? In other words, it could be with any *A carrier and it could be achieved anywhere, eg there was once a quick way of getting OW sapphire by doing a certain island hopping tour on JL in Japan; there was a similar scheme for Aegean involving numerous roundtrips within Europe. From what I see the easiest would seem to be a couple of business class roundtrips with Asiana from US or Europe to Korea.
I don't really have a solid answer to your question, but just important to recognize that Asiana is being acquired by Korean Air and will very likely be leaving Star Alliance for Sky Team at some point. It's been in the works for several years but it does appear to be getting close to finally occurring.

Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia...ge-status.html

Regards
SPN Lifer and flyercity like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, that's very helpful and will further narrow the choices. Maybe Aegean after all even though, based on past experience, it seems to be frowned upon when presented at UA lounges lol.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyercity
What is the easiest way to do it irrespective of home airport, preferred airline etc? .
Put $25k in united passplus flex, instant UA gold. $25k can be used on united or some of their preferred partner airlines (unsure if there's a destination restriction or $25k number went up, check thread).

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated].

Otherwise youll have to find a distance-base *G program, PE/J/F to get a good fare class and bonuses that could towards the *G threshold(some programs award bonus miles for J, but not towards status).

Asiana (OZ) , Air China still allows 40-50 qualifying flight segments to achieve *G (but note the warning about OZ leaving *G).segment only counys if flown on OZ plane, but I think airchina just needs it ti be on *alliance? $130 avg price per leg times 50 =$6000, can squeeze. Need maybe 5-6 days, 4-5 round-trips a day
flyercity likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Apr 2, 2024 at 6:48 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:32 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Also keep in mind that SK, with AF-KLM being part of the new owning consortium, will be leaving Star Alliance for SkyTeam - which, as someone who is lifetime *Gold on SK, I find extremely inconvenient
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:09 am

I already had *G with OZ, but due to the sale of the airline, I started looking elsewhere a couple years ago. Aegean and TK are the two most common recommendations other than OZ. IIRC, Aegean had some kind of requirement to fly on their own metal in order to most easily qualify/re-qualify. As there is zero chance of me doing that from LAX, I decided to go with TK. I was able to just barely get *G in the initial qualifying period and re-qualify in the first year after getting status. The downside is that TK M&S is a horrible program and my miles are practically worthless, especially after the recent devaluation. They also have some bad blood with LH,which makes earning on LH group flights a PITA.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
If you are willing to do ‘a couple business class r/ts’, why not spend $10k and UA*G? 2 trips @ $5k each and you are Gold
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:26 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
If you can manage to take 6 x A3/OA flights, A3*G no doubt will be the easiest. Retaining it is even easier.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Spend 6000$ on Air India: https://www.airindia.com/in/en/flyin...rns/about.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.