Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Enjoying Star Alliance Gold benefits but accruing miles on another FFP with no status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enjoying Star Alliance Gold benefits but accruing miles on another FFP with no status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2023, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi All

I have Star Alliance gold with United and it's unlikely I will be able to renew my status with Mileage Plus this year. I was wondering for my upcoming flights with Turkish Airlines, TAP and Thai, would it still be possible to enjoy *G benefits if I accrue points on another FFP like Asiana where I don't have status?

Thanks a lot
Joseph
​​​
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: UA
United explicitly forbids using UA *G benefits while accruing to another program. Enforcement of this may vary.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by HKGflyboy
I have Star Alliance gold with United and it's unlikely I will be able to renew my status with Mileage Plus this year. I was wondering for my upcoming flights with Turkish Airlines, TAP and Thai, would it still be possible to enjoy *G benefits if I accrue points on another FFP like Asiana where I don't have status?
​​​
Historically this was not a problem. But in recent years some programmes have started to impose restrictions. Even so I would expect those restrictions to not really be an issue when you're flying with partners like this. As long as you have your physical UA *G card you should be able to get into lounges and flash it at priority boarding time etc. Once upon a time that's how it worked all the time but now you may meet lounge dragons that just scan your boarding pass and don't want to start looking at cards. But I would expect to see that in N.A. more than in Europe and I would guess much more than in Asia.

What UA and other airlines have really started cracking down on hard is using *other* programme perks like upgrades or waived fees etc. They threaten to pull your upgrade if you switch the FF number on the reservation.

Last edited by zkzkz; Jun 17, 2023 at 12:49 am
Old Nov 18, 2023, 8:02 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Any issues if it’s non UA*G?

E.g. SQ / OZ *G to TG base member acct. for accruals?
I’m travelling K class on UA SINSFOYVR next week
k class earns 25% on SQKF but 50% on OZ & TG ROP
Old Nov 21, 2023, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
UA couldn't care less if you switch from one partner FFP to another. What UA is bothered about is using your UA elite status to obtain elite benefits and then changing the FFP at the gate/before boarding.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:38 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
Much the same question here: is it possible to accumulate miles on A3 and using LH M&M card for lounge access (flying A3)?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, just show your card /digital card on your phone at the lounge. No need to enter LH M/M FFP in the reservation/PNR.
SPN Lifer and NightFly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.