Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Paid Business Class EWR-HKG-SIN-EWR - best way to go for Star Alliance miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Business Class EWR-HKG-SIN-EWR - best way to go for Star Alliance miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by omsflyer
Interesting discussion. I had forgotten about the 75,000 max earnings on UA. We are planning a *A first RTW trip ( I know, call us crazy ) and want to try SQ 380, Thai F, LH 747-8 and 380 plus FRA FCT and Private Club in SIN. Can we assign different flights to other programs so as to maximize our earnings beyond the 75,000? Ticket will be by UA stock 016. Thanks for any input
Yes, you can easily assign different segments to different *A programs. Assuming your flights are fairly spaced out with stopovers, it's extremely easy. It only becomes tricky on back to back flights where changing programs mid-stream might inadvertently also change your previous unposted segment from the same day or day before. The trick is going to be figuring out which segments are best to credit to UA to get the 75k max since UA's logic of assigning $$s per segment isn't always straightforward.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Sorry for the delay - no wifi. Thanks dvs7310 for this information. This will be an interesting trip to plan and now adding in the mileage requirements
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO UA's food ranges from okay to very good, and is certainly better than BR.
This serves as a great reminder as to how subjective this all is. For me, the food BR serves in Y is better than anything I have received on UA in C or F. But I suppose it all comes down to the sort of food one is accustomed to.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
This serves as a great reminder as to how subjective this all is. For me, the food BR serves in Y is better than anything I have received on UA in C or F. But I suppose it all comes down to the sort of food one is accustomed to.
Yes, because food standards here in the bay area are so very low

All 57 of the Bay Area's Michelin-starred Restaurants for 2019
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I agree with Kacee that UA's standard for food in biz/first both domestic and international has really gone up several notches in the past year or two. it's better quality, there is more variety, and more creativity in presentation than before. My experience on other airlines in biz (not first) has been on Asiana, LH, LX, and AC. Haven't been in biz on Singapore or NH yet - that's in 2019.

Also agree with Kacee about food standards in the SF Bay Area. But I'm biased...

To the OP - you say you want to wrack up miles - assume you mean RDM? Because for PQM flying on any airlines other than UA, AC and LH generally earns you many fewer PQM than on United. For me, I only focus on PQM when picking flights - I earn most RDM from credit card spend. And I believe no PQD for flying anything other than UA if that is a consideration for you.

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Dec 18, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.