Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

* Alliance ROTW ticket - open dates/changing dates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze

I wonder whether someone can help me with what may well be a bit of a beginner’s question on Star Alliance’s ROTW tickets: what are the mechanics of changing dates for particular legs of a ROTW ticket?

My daughter is about to book one, having worked out her detailed itinerary. Like most people in her position she is certain about when she will start the trip, but thereafter the dates of each onward leg may vary depending on whether she decides to over/under stay in any given place.

From what I can see, the *A ROTW ticket booking tool requires you to specify dates for each leg you intend to take. I get that - it has to work out whether the flight you want runs on that date. But I’ve seen references to leaving all but the initial travel date “open” - an option I can’t see on the *A ROTW ticket booking website.

So what does one do? Do you book the ticket complete with specified dates, then change them subsequently as and when the need arises (online via the *A website, or individual airlines’ sites, or by some other method?), or is there a way to book the ticket whilst specifying the date of departure for the first sector and only the first sector?

All guidance gratefully received. It’s quite a bit of cash to drop, and I’d rather she didn’t end up with the wrong thing when she clicks “Proceed” (or whatever it is).
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:38 pm

Usually RTW is used for ound the world tickets. If you search for this or for FRWSTAR1 / 2 / 3 etc you will find lots of information about these tickets here.

You need to book each flight on a certain date, but later can do free date changes (hoping some Star airline will still be operating the city pair then). The last time I was able to do open sectors was at the time of paper tickets. But even a routing change for the rest of the ticket is not too expensive if you change your mind later. You can even upgrade to a higher mileage level.
Changing dates or routing can be done by calling. If you don't mind to spend a bit more I would recommend using an travel agent with experience in RTWs for this - then he will do the work for you in case of changes etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.