Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Would *A be suitable for me, and which carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would *A be suitable for me, and which carrier?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by GBobon
@timster, i know, but the topic to which I replied was about re-qualification...
Yes, but that thread was in reply to mine ... which was about both qualification and retention. I admit it was getting confusing, so I just spelled out the different a3 qualification requirements with/without a3 flights. Sorry ... no drama.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, DL Gold (SkyTeam E+), OZ Silver
As for the Aegean idea: I dont transit through Athens and dont particularly plan to. Obligation to fly Aegean metal for easier requirements is not very interesting in my case.
Turkish Airlines: it seems similar to Asiana for the requirements, but in this case I still think Asiana is going to be better as I'll be flying them metal more often.

@dvs7310
Thanks a lot for your insights, it's very informative. JCB Asiana Gold card is available, but doesnt seem to offer any kind of lounge access.
Mind if I send you a PM later so we can go further in the credit card topic discussion?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Eizugal
As for the Aegean idea: I dont transit through Athens and dont particularly plan to. Obligation to fly Aegean metal for easier requirements is not very interesting in my case.
Turkish Airlines: it seems similar to Asiana for the requirements, but in this case I still think Asiana is going to be better as I'll be flying them metal more often.

@dvs7310
Thanks a lot for your insights, it's very informative. JCB Asiana Gold card is available, but doesnt seem to offer any kind of lounge access.
Mind if I send you a PM later so we can go further in the credit card topic discussion?
For Japan specific, absolutely PM me.I've been here for a long time and of course I'm happy to share.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:14 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
One thing I would like to note that JAL's JGC and ANA's SFC seem to give residents in Japan with co-branded credit cards more ways to keep their status almost indefinitely once they reached threshold.
At least for JGC, I know it is possible to reach OneWorld (OW) Emerald and Sapphire with some domestic mileage runs.
The program has become increasingly popular even among Taiwanese travellers here in Taiwan. Many just spent a few days working on those MR flights in Japan and get their status. Their is a theory that the status will almost never expire. I won't go into the details here.

I just want to point out that, since you are based in Japan, and if you would also have some domestic travels, for leisure or for business, maybe JGC or SFC could be an option, too?

P.S Air China and China Eastern seems to have quite a few discounted Business Class fare from Japan to Europe from time to time. I also found that ICN usually has good Business Class deals to Europe.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can't fly JAL or ANA, I'd go back to SkyTeam and think about using KE for flights within Asia and AF or KE for flights back to Europe. Then the question is whether to accrue miles on AF or KE, so you need to compare the programs carefully.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks for the advice.

Indeed, flying JAL and ANA is unlikely: they are far from being the cheapest options in Asia. Additionally, flying partner airlines is also not that advantageous, as to acquire status in JAL/ANA you need to fly at least half of your miles "metal".
This is a problem for the SFC or JGC cards: you need to get a status there first before being able to apply for the cards.

Recently came to my attention that on SkyTeam (thanks to @dvs7310 for the info), there is in Japan a Delta Skymiles AmEx Gold card that grants gold medallion/SkyTeam E+ status.
Would it be worth to continue the grinding on ST (on Delta, not AF) instead of Asiana/*A ?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Update.
Got the Delta Skymiles AmEx Gold that grants me automatically the Gold Medallion on Delta, and the SkyTeam ElitePlus status.
Looks like I'll continue flying on SkyTeam for a while!
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.