RTW - OpenJaw

Old Apr 15, 18, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, ET Gold, M&M FTL, UA Silver, EY Silver, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
RTW - OpenJaw

Hi All! The Ms. and I are doing a mini-RTW with AC - they allow 2 during the journey and our routing will be:

ROM-IST-PEK; PEK-ICN-HNL; HNL-LAX-ZRH-MAD; MAD-MUC-ROM

The HNL-MAD portion is operated by UA HNL-LAX, and LX LAX - MAD. We wanted another stop in LA. Since we're talking about changing carriers in LAX, will we forfeit the tickets if we leave from HNL earlier and spend a week in LA on a one-way at our own expense? Or do we need to do a RT to get back to HNL only to return to HNL?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 15, 18, 5:10 pm

You might get better answers in the AC forum since the rules are AC specific. They are different from rules for RTWs at other programs. Paid RTW have the same rules for all Star airlines, but the points/miles type is noit.
Old Apr 16, 18, 9:22 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Your only way to add a stop in LA will be to nest a HNL-LAX-HNL within the reward ticket.
You already have stops in PEK and MAD, with HNL as destination.

However, you might consider adding the stop in LAX, then returning all directly to Rome, and buying
a ticket Rome - MAD,
Old Apr 16, 18, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, ET Gold, M&M FTL, UA Silver, EY Silver, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Your only way to add a stop in LA will be to nest a HNL-LAX-HNL within the reward ticket.
You already have stops in PEK and MAD, with HNL as destination.

However, you might consider adding the stop in LAX, then returning all directly to Rome, and buying
a ticket Rome - MAD,
That's what I thought, and had I been as smart as you, I would have done what you said, since the HNL-LAX-HNL portion is a lot more expensive than ROM-MAD-ROM. I was just hoping (apparently against hope) that we could just show up on the afternoon of the 25th for our LX flight and that they wouldn't know that we hadn't used our HNL-LAX portion...
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If you no-show for HNL-LAX, all the rest will be cancelled.
It might be worth the $100 change fee to change your stop to LAX, then fly direct to Rome. ( assuming that ROM means FCO).

Search this Thread