Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Baggage Interline between *A and OW flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Due to the Qatar Business Class Sale I'm flying OW QR from ARN-DOH-CBR and back SYD-DOH-ARN in Business.
Now I need a connecting flight from FRA to ARN and on return from ARN to FRA. There is no OW direct flight, so I need to book *A SK or LH (Eco). I'm traveling with max. 1x23kg.

Is it possible to interline the baggage from LH (*A) to QR (OW) flights? Can LH check in my luggage to CBR directly?

If it's not possible, this will be my first time with a connection flight not on the same reservation. So what will be the procedure?
Get the baggage at ARN, go through customs and then check in to QR flight? Or is there any transit possibility at ARN?
I'm planning to arrive at 6:10pm at ARN and the QR flight departures at 10:40pm. So I think 4hrs 30mins should be enough (if there is no delay of course). On return I will arrive at 1pm and LH flight will be 3:35pm - so 2hrs 35mins. Will this be still enough?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It depends on the specific airlines, not the alliances. And it is further complicated by the fact that on separate tickets (which you have) the airlines are not obligated to tag bags through, even where they have the appropriate agreements to do so. The good news is that Qatar Airways, SAS and Lufthansa all participate in the necessary interline agreements to allow for the bags to be checked through. But that doesn't mean they definitely will. My guess is that LH will not check the bag through on the outbound and that QR likely will on the inbound.

Assuming no through-check you have the process correct. You claim the bag, clear customs and then proceed to the check-in counter to drop it again.

Assuming flights are on time you have plenty of time to claim and recheck.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you sbm12 for your help.

I think I will use the "normal" way for outbound. I've plenty of time and should be the safer way to get my baggage to the destination.
On inbound flight with QR I will try to route it directly to FRA. If it doesn't work it's not that worse.

Best way would be a QR or at least OW flight from FRA to ARN, but there is no direct one.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This advice already provided is spot on. LH will most likely refuse to check your bags to final destination but QR MAY do it if you ask nicely. Neither of them are obliged to do so, so ask nicely! In any event, you have plenty of time to pick-up your bag at ARN and do re-check-in, so there is really no issue here
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Although it does not pertain to the OP's exact predicament / travel itinerary, here is another experience with *A and OW interlining:

SQ did check through my bags onto subsequent QR flights (SIN-SGN, then SGN-DOH-FRA) last month without any problems. I am doing the return run in a few hours and will report if QR are willing to do the opposite in FRA.

Update: So, QR at FRA would have checked my bags through all the way to SIN with the last leg on SQ, only that my bags were overweight, and they would have had to collect payment for the excess baggage. Hence I told them to only check the bags through to SGN, where I will try my best into sweet-talking the local SQ staff to waive the additional fee (56kg instead of 50kg) for the last leg SGN-SIN.

Last edited by NetJets Germany; Jan 7, 2018 at 1:48 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Only time I've dealt with LH is on a single ticket, so it wasn't an issue. Generally though I have checked bags through on separate tickets and different alliances many times. Sometimes I get some resistance from CX but if I push hard enough they have always done it. Most other airlines haven't even batted an eye.

In your case though you have plenty of time and you're going to be clearing immigration in ARN both directions anyway since that's where you're leaving and entering the Schengen zone. It's not really much effort at all to go to baggage claim if necessary as opposed direct to transit. Your inbound connection is a little tight for my own comfort on separate tickets, but as long as QR isn't delayed you'll be fine.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
SQ have checked bags through to BA flights for me, at a time when they had an interline agreement (not sure if they still do), on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.