Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Earning RDM: Something new?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Is this something new or have I simply been asleep for too long? I was toying with an Air China premium economy fare (E class) and just checked wheretocredit.com on earning rates. Shocked to find that for the majority of *A FF programs, this earns less than 100% RDM - most are at the 90% level and some (like AI, ET & TP) are as low as 25%.

Has this always been the case? Is it a case of Air China being bloody minded (would not surprise me an iota) or is the doing of the *A FF involved?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Most airlines have some cheap booking classes that earn either nothing, or very low rates. This has been the case for well over a decade.
sbm12 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Most airlines have some cheap booking classes that earn either nothing, or very low rates. This has been the case for well over a decade.
Of course I know that - but this is a PREMIUM ECONOMY fare. Show me another *A Premium Economy fare that earns nothing or low RDM.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by puchong
Of course I know that - but this is a PREMIUM ECONOMY fare. Show me another *A Premium Economy fare that earns nothing or low RDM.
Sounds like Lufthansa P fare revenue business class fare. Earns 0% in many programs. Only Miles and More itself and JV partners United and Air Canada credit 100%.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:40 am

It might also be that CA was using "E" for regular economy but only recently switched it to PE and earnings have not been updated.

For a brief but glorious period P class on SQ earned 200% or more on A3 since it was a first class fare reused as PE.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by puchong
ET has one of the most notorious fares for this since it comes up constantly in the Premium Deals Mileage Run forum. They have a revenue Business Class fare (P) that earns nothing at all in all but 2 *A programs (their own and CA's). Unfortunately some airlines think that giving a discount in a premium class and not awarding miles is attractive enough for people to buy it anyway. I'd personally rather they increase the fare slightly to cover the cost of miles and let it credit at 100% across *A.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dvs7310
some airlines think that giving a discount in a premium class and not awarding miles is attractive enough for people to buy it anyway.
And they are absolutely correct in 99% of cases. FT is in no way representative of the general flying community.

I'd personally rather they increase the fare slightly to cover the cost of miles and let it credit at 100% across *A.
They call that a D fare.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And they are absolutely correct in 99% of cases. FT is in no way representative of the general flying community.

They call that a D fare.
You must be the first to be attracted by non mileage earnings fares. They could easily add $50-100 to the fare and make it 100% earning. Stupid really. Similar to LH P fare.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

They call that a D fare.
ET D fares are usually significantly higher than P fares in a lot of markets. It's not the very small cost of the mileage they would pay to the partner program.

Originally Posted by zeer0
You must be the first to be attracted by non mileage earnings fares. They could easily add $50-100 to the fare and make it 100% earning. Stupid really. Similar to LH P fare.
Exactly. LH P fares aren't nearly as bad as ET P fares. The LH ones do credit in many of the more popular *A programs (A3 and TK being the major exceptions)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zeer0
You must be the first to be attracted by non mileage earnings fares.
I'm not attracted by them, I jut don't whine about it. But the vast majority of all airline passengers only care about the lowest fare. With airlines making record profits, there's no reason for them to pander to the 1%.

It's not the very small cost of the mileage they would pay to the partner program.
Airlines are a business. They're not about to pass on costs with no markup if they want to stay in business. You can always just buy the miles yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.