Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance lounge access

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mittch
Hello all.

I'll have the UA145 on June 6th from Oporto . I'm Platinum member and I'll fly Economy.

The lounge at Oporto it's not a *G lounge but have contract with several *G airlines.

Am I elegible to have acess to the lounge at OPO? When I contact the lounge they said that only FC custumers have acess.

On the outbond flight, I'll take the UA999 to Brussels and then a Brussels Airlines flight back to OPO. DoI'll have acess to the lounge at Bru?
In Porto, the ANA VINCI Lounge is a bit different. Last summer I have flown OPO-IST with TK and they asked for the physical *G card at the front desk even though the boarding pass had the full membership number and the *G sign. It took a while where the agent both noted the e-ticket number and the number of the *G card. You should have asked this at the check-in desk at OPO, I don't know if they do but they might have given you a meal voucher.

On the way back, you would be able to access the United Club at EWR and the Brussels Airlines Lounge in BRU as they are both *A lounges. You won't have an issue at the return.

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Yes they do have this type of deviations and weird access rules with a handful of contract lounges... I think DUB, ZRH are good examples where they don't (or didn't) have *G access, only Polaris.

And if you heard it from the horses mouth... who am I to argue with that.
At least in Zurich, UA Economy or PremiumPlus ( I don't know if they have this cabin for the ZRH route ) pax holding *G status could benefit from the Swiss Lounges.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
At least in Zurich, UA Economy or PremiumPlus ( I don't know if they have this cabin for the ZRH route ) pax holding *G status could benefit from the Swiss Lounges.
UA had contracted the Aspire lounge (don't know if they still do) for their Polaris pax. UA elite traveling in Y were not invited to the Aspire lounge. Swiss lounges are *G lounges so of course UA *Gs+1 will have entry to those.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:44 pm

I'm Gold flying Egyptair out of Muscat. My partner has no status and will be flying Oman Air in Y on a 016 ticket connecting to UA at LHR. Since their leg is not on a Star Alliance flight (even if it is booked with UA), does that mean I cannot guest them into the lounge at MCT?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
I'm Gold flying Egyptair out of Muscat. My partner has no status and will be flying Oman Air in Y on a 016 ticket connecting to UA at LHR. Since their leg is not on a Star Alliance flight (even if it is booked with UA), does that mean I cannot guest them into the lounge at MCT?
Officially at least, that is correct. UA has an Interline agreement with Oman Air, but nothing more (she can't even get UA points for the leg - be sure to remove the UA number before the flight or she won't be able to credit elsewhere as well!). You could still try your luck, but be ready for a denial.

If you have Priority Pass, the Primeclass lounge at MUS is very good.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:01 pm
DIM

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Access to *lounge in a different airport than *flight

Confused and need an advice, please. I’m *Gold (Plat with United) and will fly on the same day DCA-LGA-FLL with Delta in economy and after that FLL-PTY with Copa in business.
as my Copa/*Alliance flight is the same day as my domestic Delta flights, may I visit DCA/LGA United/*Alliance lounges on my way? From one hand, they are not in the airport of departure of the Copa flight, from other - I got a same day departure on *Alliance metal that day... Thanks in advance
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DIM
as my Copa/*Alliance flight is the same day as my domestic Delta flights, may I visit DCA/LGA United/*Alliance lounges on my way? From one hand, they are not in the airport of departure of the Copa flight, from other - I got a same day departure on *Alliance metal that day... Thanks in advance
The bold portion disqualifies your eligibility.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DIM
Confused and need an advice, please. I’m *Gold (Plat with United) and will fly on the same day DCA-LGA-FLL with Delta in economy and after that FLL-PTY with Copa in business.
The rule is very clear. You are permitted access when departing on a *A flight from the local airport as part of the international itinerary. You are flying DL so you cannot use the lounges.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
The rule is very clear. You are permitted access when departing on a *A flight from the local airport as part of the international itinerary. You are flying DL so you cannot use the lounges.
That is true by * alliance rules (access is at local airport based on departing flight) for a regular * G lounge

However, United Club allows access as long as you have UA *G plus a valid same-day intl * alliance flight. Call this a "location waiver"

(If you have non UA *G, then this "location waiver" does not apply. You follow the normal *alliance rules, local airport based on your next departing flight)

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

UA *G
A same-day boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status, for travel on an internationalfootnote1 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)

NON uA *g
A same-day boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status, for travel on a flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline and departing from the same airport
My guess is that UA doesn't need to pay anything for their UA *G to access United club. And this waiver is needed for someone doing lax-ewr-lhr (lax-ewr is domestic so UA *G can't access LAX United club without this waiver. NonUA *G using same itinerary won't have this problem because lax-ewr is a *alliance flight)

But UA can't get other FF to pay for access outside of the *alliance local airport rule, so they don't have location waiver for nonUA *G

Unfortunately, u still need a valid boarding pass on a star alliance airline departing at the same airport as lounge, so OP's Delta ticket won't work

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 26, 2019 at 8:55 am
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:42 am

Deleted: I found my answer

Last edited by downinit; Nov 27, 2019 at 7:06 am
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

New (Guest) lounge access policy from May3 2021

Hi,
Just read that from May 3 2021, Star Alliance will be changing it's lounge access policy for guests. They will have to be on the SAME flight and not anymore ANY Star Alliance flights. Seems like LH - my assumption) - (reportedly the first to have started this) convince other members to agree to this change,https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/01/13/...ge-may-3-2021/
Does not really impact me and I guess also most.

Cheers!
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
Just read that from May 3 2021, Star Alliance will be changing it's lounge access policy for guests. They will have to be on the SAME flight and not anymore ANY Star Alliance flights. Seems like LH - my assumption) - (reportedly the first to have started this) convince other members to agree to this change,https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/01/13/...ge-may-3-2021/
Does not really impact me and I guess also most.

Cheers!
I think SQ were in on the act too, they've always hated frequent flyer benefits across *A.

This is just another miserable downgrade of *G status.

Can anyone remember when there was an across the board improvement? I can't remember anything in the last twenty years.
zeer0, lhrpete and supervillian like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I think SQ were in on the act too, they've always hated frequent flyer benefits across *A.

This is just another miserable downgrade of *G status.

Can anyone remember when there was an across the board improvement? I can't remember anything in the last twenty years.
I think SQ hate the concept of recognising *G benefits even for their own elites, let alone those from *A partners!
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
A service update to the Star Alliance Lounge at EZE

- food is served to you by staff
- limited snack offerings
​​​​​​- currently only lounge open at EZE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.