Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

no more RCC access for non-UA *Gold on inner NorthAmerican tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no more RCC access for non-UA *Gold on inner NorthAmerican tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 2:22 am

As the * Rules state any loung displaying the "Star Gold Logo" if this logo is removed from all the lounges we wouldn't be allowed in at all !!

The additional * Rules allow us lounge access when flying international business or international first.

UA are quite within their rights to "withdraw" the Gold logo from the lounges
Old Jun 27, 2003, 4:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by Tall Bloke:
UA are quite within their rights to "withdraw" the Gold logo from the lounges </font>
Very true. An alarming prospect.

Old Jun 27, 2003, 6:54 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
This isn't quite so new. Flying through Denver, first as a 1P and then as a 1K, I found my status and my *A Gold card worthless at the RCC, where I was several times politely shown the door (even on an F ticket). The "kind" folks at the RCC told me that this was a policy of many years. If it had happened once, that would be one thing. It happened on at least two occasions.

------------------
Old Jun 27, 2003, 7:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tall Bloke:
UA are quite within their rights to "withdraw" the Gold logo from the lounges </font>
I know there are a few examples of lounges that are not open to *G (e.g., SIN), but are there any non-UA examples of airports where a * carrier operates one or more lounges and neither of them are open to *G?

------------------
The Star Alliance Award Comparison Chart
Old Jun 27, 2003, 7:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BrisbanePE:
As other's have pointed out in the United FT forum, it doesn't make sense to disallow other FFP *G members from the RCC when the RCC would actually receive payment from the host FFP for doing so.
</font>
That's being said quite often on this board, but, does someone know how it really works? I can't remember any RCC ever making a note of my SK*G card number. How do they get paid?
Old Jun 27, 2003, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC Elite
I recall seeing a touch screen at the RCC in DEN where the agent recorded my visit by touching the AC icon for my visit. Some SK lounges swipe the card to read the magnetic strip and in ARN, you swipe your own card and go through a turnstile. I guess the individual membership number does not matter for UA
Old Jun 27, 2003, 6:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hagbard Viking:
I know there are a few examples of lounges that are not open to *G (e.g., SIN), but are there any non-UA examples of airports where a * carrier operates one or more lounges and neither of them are open to *G?</font>
I'm not sure I follow the question, although I think you are asking what non-UA carriers have a lounge at a port, but it's not designated as a *G lounge, thereby allowing access only to their members or allowed guests as per ticket fare entry qualifications ??
If so, there are hundreds of them. The *G's are very much in the minority of lounges operated by the * carriers.
Small sample - at AMS of BD LH OS SK SQ and UA operating there, only the BD and SQ lounges are designated *G. In FRA only LH and UA show as *G lounges, with AC NH OS SK SQ TG and RG not showing designated *G lounges. One of the largest ports with no *G lounge at all that I can think of, off the top of my head, is in Rome - none of AC OS LH SK SQ TG or RG have a *G designated lounge operating.
The designated *G lounges are few and far between considering the amount of non *G lounges there are.

Am sure you'll correct me if I've misinterpreted the question !!!

FWIW, here is a list (admittedly from a "major * cities list, so cities like LAS don't appear) of UA *NON designated* *G designated lounges in the mainland USA -
Detroit, Houston (Bush)
List of *G designated UA operated lounges in the mainland USA (from the same "major cities" list) -
Altanta, BWI, Chicago O'Hare, Cleveland, DFW, Denver, Indianapolis, LAX, Miami, MSP, all 3 New York, Orlando, Philly, Phoenix, Portland Or, San Diego, SNA (!!!), Sea-Tac, and both IAD and DCA.
Obviously, there are some anomolies in there - why would ATL, DFW, MSP & SAN as 4 small examples be *G designated, not to even think about SNA of all places ?? They could easily remove the *G designation from these sort of ports and still keep the ones in the international hubs and major major cities.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Al B (edited 06-27-2003).]
Old Jun 27, 2003, 7:21 pm

Shouldnt *A step in and ruffle some people up regarding this change. I know in New Zealand, all *Golds are welcome to the Kuru Club, ah that word again Club! Red Carpet Club get over it, your just a lounge!

Dave
Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Al B:
I'm not sure I follow the question, although I think you are asking what non-UA carriers have a lounge at a port, but it's not designated as a *G lounge, thereby allowing access only to their members or allowed guests as per ticket fare entry qualifications ??
</font>
Close... What I was asking was are there (non-UA) examples of airports where a * carrier is operating one or more lounges (note, operating the lounge(s) (as opposed to contracting lounges), not just operating flights into the airport) where none of the lounges are designated as *G?

Until recently, my understanding was that the Star Alliance carriers offered lounge access to each other's *G members at least at the airports where they are operating their own lounges. Now, it seems like at least UA does not anymore...
Old Jun 29, 2003, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tall Bloke:
Noone is disputing that the change is within their rights.

Fortunately, they are not "withdrawing the Gold Logo" - which I guess would be tantamount to declaring they are not part of *A - but are choosing to only be a *G lounge for international travel purposes. (I wonder if they well be amending the signs?)

If all the *A airlines followed suit it would greatly diminish the value of being a *G. Hence I see it as a very poor move on UA/RCC's part and one that reflects very badly on them. I hope there is an overseeing body within *A that can tell UA/RCC to get their act together.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by euslaner:
This isn't quite so new. Flying through Denver, first as a 1P and then as a 1K, I found my status and my *A Gold card worthless at the RCC</font>
What's new is that this now applies to other FFP *G members, not just UA's own 1Ks and 1Ps.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:52 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I did write my local LH management in Zürich about this and expect an answer this week.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren

Es scheint, dass ihr StarAlliance-partner UA nun kürzlich die Zulassungsbestimmungen zu den RCC geändert (wesentlich verschärft) hat.

Bisher hatten alle Star-Gold status-'holders' (mit Ausnahme von UA-Gold = Premier Executive und 1K auf inner Nordamerikanischen Flügen) Zutritt, wenn ein Boarding-Pass des gleichen Tages für irgendeinen UA-Flug vorgewiesen werden konnte.

Neu wird eingeschränkt "only available to StarGold on a same-day internationa ticket" (siehe auch http://www.ual.com/page/article/0,1360,3113,00.html ) - neu ist das Wort internationa (und offensichtlich gelten sogar Canada-USA-Föüge nicht als international). Auch die jüngste Praxis in LAX, DEN und JFK bestätigt diese Politikänderung.

Weiss dies Lufthansa? Muss das von den StarAlliance-partnern und deren Kunden akzeptiert werden? Es widerspricht allen gedruckten LH-Informationen über die Privilegien des Senator-status.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Rudi Martel
Senator NNNNNNNNNNN</font>
By telephone I was promised today a (1st) answer in a week's time - they (LH Zürich) didn't know about such a UA RCC policy change.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I'm sure there are a lot more UA *G members than the other *A airlines.

If UA starts to shut *G holders out of RCC domestically and the other airlines do the same, UA *G members will suffer the most (through the breath of lounges around the world).

-------

On a separate note, AC flies to Rome but does not have a lounge there. In a lot of places where they are not *A major or mini hubs, they contract lounges (hence, no *G logo). Rome might be one of those cities.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scott218:
I'm sure there are a lot more UA *G members than the other *A airlines.
</font>
I would not be terribly surprised if there were more UA *G than all other *A carriers combined.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While UA may have the highest number of Star Golds I'd be willing to wager that UA doesn't have the highest number of star golds who actually are able to utilize the benifits because they travel internationaly. I think that LH, SQ, and maybe NH have more star golds who actually travel internationally....mostly due to the fact that lots of US people don't travel internationally all that often...while any trip a SQ customer makes will be internaional!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.