FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   no more RCC access for non-UA *Gold on inner NorthAmerican tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/184098-no-more-rcc-access-non-ua-gold-inner-northamerican-tickets.html)

Rudi Jun 10, 2003 12:39 am

no more RCC access for non-UA *Gold on inner NorthAmerican tickets

as transpac noted first (posted in the UA formum) there is a recent changement of rules

http://www.ual.com/page/article/0,1360,3113,00.html

7.) Only available to Star Gold traveling on a same-day international ticket.

This is indeed a new restriction (a changement from the 2002 rules that I have in front of me in a printed version), and one more reason for me to even more reduce my future inner-North-American UA bookings (when seperated from my international trips).

Zorro Jun 10, 2003 2:09 am

As Senator I should be informed about these changes by LH, and not on some web page I have no reason to visit.

In any case, this would mean that as Senator *Gold flying First Class FRA-JFK (LH on Monday)JFK-SFO (UA, or even code share LH on Tuesday), and SFO-FRA (LH on Wednesday), paying US$ 9,334 (incl. taxes), I would still have to slum it with the masses at the Taco Bell in the UA Terminal at JFK. (no intl flight on the day as required).

The sooner that rotten organisation diappears completely from the face of the *map, the better.

There must be some rules of reciprocity which precludes unilateral action by one partner without acceptance by the suffering counterparty. After all, how many RCC memebers are clogging up MY Sen lounges in MUC and FRA ?

Pacha Jun 10, 2003 2:46 am

WOW,

I am the only one who is absolutely freaked about this. What the f@#@ are the *******s in Chicago thinking?

Anyone try and see if this is being enforced?
In the past, they have never asked me for my BP (probably will now though)...
Probably time to switch loyalties.

tcswede Jun 10, 2003 2:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
as transpac noted first (posted in the UA formum) there is a recent changement of rules

http://www.ual.com/page/article/0,1360,3113,00.html

7.) Only available to Star Gold traveling on a same-day international ticket.

This is indeed a new restriction (a changement from the 2002 rules that I have in front of me in a printed version), and one more reason for me to even more reduce my future inner-North-American UA bookings (when seperated from my international trips).
</font>
On may 29, I arrived in SFO from JFK and wanted to make a telephne call, and could not get my foreign CC to work on the public phones by the gate - I went to the RCC - and showed them my *Gold and the lady said welcome - did not even have a connecting boarding pass.

Cheers

Thomas

zvezda Jun 10, 2003 3:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Zorro:

In any case, this would mean that as Senator *Gold flying First Class FRA-JFK (LH on Monday)JFK-SFO (UA, or even code share LH on Tuesday), and SFO-FRA (LH on Wednesday), paying US$ 9,334 (incl. taxes), I would still have to slum it with the masses at the Taco Bell in the UA Terminal at JFK.
</font>
Actually, UA has lounges at JFK, LAX, and SFO for full C and F transcon ticket holders. These lounges are small, but very nice.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

BlondeBomber Jun 10, 2003 6:07 am

For now, I am going to interpret the rule (as have the RCC matrons) as allowing access to non-UA star golds on ANY flight. The Star-Alliance website:

http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...e/main_10.html

still says:

"
Lounge Access

International First Class
Customers who present an International First Class boarding pass, regardless of the Star Alliance carrier they fly, have lounge access. They, and one guest, are welcome to visit first class lounges or any other members' departure lounges when departing on a Star Alliance flight. Note: AC, BD, OS (NG, VO), MX and SK do not have international first class service.

International Business Class
Customers who present an international Business Class boarding pass, regardless of the Star Alliance carrier they fly, have access to all members' designated business departure lounges. Guests are not permitted.
Star Alliance Gold Card Holder
Star Alliance Gold card holders and one guest, have access to any lounge that is identified with a Star Alliance Gold lounge sign when departing on a Star Alliance flight. Note: UA's Star Gold customers have access to US Red Carpet Clubrooms only when they present a ticket or boarding pass in conjunction with international travel (outside the US)."

I presume the agreements between star carriers should cover this. Maybe the rules will change next year or we will get a "correcting message" to our program rules, but for now I will presume it is business as normal (ie non-UA star golds get access even on domestic US flights).

------------------

BlondeBomber's Star Lounge Guide
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2003
BlondeBomber's Hilton HHonors Rewards Hotel Levels (1 MB!)
BlondeBomber's Starwood Hotel Levels

Markie Jun 10, 2003 10:39 pm

THis is a disappointing change, but I guess that UA have found out how many people are getting in now on the *A Gold cards and not paying for membership.
Just another cost cutting exercise I am afraid.

Koru Flyer Jun 11, 2003 12:29 am

Is it really a change, or just UA being american centric and assuming that only their *Gs (i.e 1P and 1K) will read their website and to cut confusion and to dumb it down have just assumed lounge access for only those on international tickets. Or some dumb arse web programmer making assumptions.

Of course, the question is how long will it take for what is written on the web to generalise across to the matrons!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Mark

Rudi Jun 11, 2003 1:05 am

It seems to be bad reality already - at least at LAX.

I already read two reports of (non UA-) *Gold members with same day inner NorthAmerican UA boarding passes being denied RCC access at LAX.

Always Flyin Jun 11, 2003 1:12 am

No problem today at SNA and at SFO (twice--once on arrival and later on the day on departure). LH M&M Senator card got me right in. No questions asked.

vielflieger Jun 11, 2003 1:58 pm

If that is the case can I use my Delta Platinum (good for CRC access) to get in on domestic UA travel?

kempis Jun 11, 2003 3:16 pm

Doesnt UA get paid for every single visit I make while using my AC Star Gold card?

Shareholder Jun 11, 2003 3:30 pm

AC has long had a reciprocal agreement with UA over access to RCCs by its MLL members [and thus STARGold and Diners|MLL cardholders] and RCC members can use MLLs. This predates STARGold, so any changes should not affect AC's STARGolds.

Guy Betsy Jun 11, 2003 8:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
AC has long had a reciprocal agreement with UA over access to RCCs by its MLL members [and thus STARGold and Diners|MLL cardholders] and RCC members can use MLLs. This predates STARGold, so any changes should not affect AC's STARGolds.</font>
Yes, but how many old bats at the RCC know about this - they'd say, "New rules" and slam the door in your face.

Isn't this another reason that UA will lose revenue to Star Gold members?

Zaco Jun 12, 2003 4:13 am

Well when US Airways enter star we'll all just have to fly them then http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Cheers, Zac