RTW USA-BNE

Old Apr 26, 03, 10:36 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Posts: 27
RTW USA-BNE

Hi all

My family and I are half way through a *Alliance RTW fare, so far travelling BNE-AKL-LAX-PHL. Our remaining itinerary to be taken in a few months is PHL-IAD-CDG-SIN-BNE.

I am now pregnant and with the current SARS situation in Asia would prefer to avoid travelling through Asia entirely (or at least not through Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia or China).

I am after routing advice to get us home to sunny Brisbane from Philadelphia. Maybe via Africa to Perth? Any ideas?

Our RTW fares were issued on UA stock. Does anyone have any experience with UA and changing fares for reasons of SARS? Any flexibility?

Please help.

Regards
*Flyer
*Flyer is offline  
Old Apr 26, 03, 4:35 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,045
You may get some flexibility depending on the carrier involved, I would try giving Air NZ a call as the potential change would be on Air NZ and they have gone on record of offering flexibility on SARS and the War in Iraq - as per their website.

You will not be able to route via South Africa, as no *A carrier flies from S/Africa to Australia, you'll need to go via SIN on SQ.

Suggest you go CDG-NRT on NH, then on NZ NRT-AKL then connect straight through to NZ AKL-BNE. Ensuring that you don't max out your miles going this way. Suggest you try giving Air NZ a call in the US. Unfortunately i've lost their 800 number there but a search on their website should help http://www.airnz.com

If that doesn't help, give UA a call... and see what happens :-)

[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited 04-26-2003).]
kawoh is offline  
Old Apr 26, 03, 9:37 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Posts: 2,337
Given that your travels are still "some months" away, not too sure how far into the future any sort of SARS exemptions on change fees will apply. You may be able to do things closer to your departure date pending the then situation with SARS.
Your only option to route via Africa would involve a transit through SIN with SQ anyway, so with your concerns it's not much of an option. Thailand put a very strict regimen in place at the very earliest hint of SARS and so far it appears to have worked for them. Keep an eye on the situation but don't discount a return via Bangkok just yet. Another option is via Phuket to Perth on Thai, then NZ to AKL and over to BNE. The only other option I can think of is a transit through SEL on Asiana. Korea, like Thailand, acted very early on and appears also to have kept a lid on things.

I'd maybe keep up with WHO updates and when it's closer to travel time, make a firmer decision then.
Cheers/Regards.
Al B is offline  
Old Apr 27, 03, 4:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,045
I completely forgot about Korea, if you want to save time on your trip, you could do ICN-SYD but then you'll need to make your own way up to BNE.
kawoh is offline  
Old Apr 28, 03, 4:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,796
Transitting through SIN is low risk. Don't worry about it, but observe good hygiene.
zvezda is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread