different FFP for each leg

Old Apr 2, 17, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
different FFP for each leg

is it possible to credit your miles to different frequent flyer programs for each leg?

for example I'm looking at booking SEA-NRT-SIN through UA, with the NRT-SIN leg on NH, on a 'L' booking class ticket. I would credit everything to SQ's program but 'L' class on NH is no miles on SQ's program but at least gives me 30% on NH.

googling tells me to do a retroactive claim but SQ's retroactive claim process is a massive PITA. can I just ask them to change the FFP number during the layover?

tldr: for SEA-NRT-SIN is it possible to:
SEA-NRT credit miles to SQ
NRT-SIN credit miles to NH
Old Apr 2, 17, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merridius View Post
Is it possible to credit your miles to different frequent flyer programs for each leg?
<snip>
Can I just ask them to change the FFP number during the layover?
For SEA-NRT-SIN is it possible to:
SEA-NRT credit miles to SQ
NRT-SIN credit miles to NH
Generally yes. Does vary by airline/ffp. You could try to have a different ffp number on each leg before the flights. But changing the FFP number does not always stick. Even if the boarding pass prints the new ffp number with some airlines/ffp it will credit to the first.
The only 100% way is to have no ffp number on any leg and retro claim each separately.
Old Apr 2, 17, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Generally yes. <...>
The only 100% way is to have no ffp number on any leg and retro claim each separately.
thanks for the response. if it doesn't stick, would the airlines take kindly to me doing a retroactive claim for NH? I wouldn't get any miles with SQ for that leg anyway
Old Apr 2, 17, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you think a retroactive claim is a PITA try going through the hoops of getting them credited even though you got no miles. I went through this with UA & LH two years ago.

thanks for the response. if it doesn't stick, would the airlines take kindly to me doing a retroactive claim for NH? I wouldn't get any miles with SQ for that leg anyway
Old Apr 2, 17, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
AFAIK, a PNR can only accept 1 FF # per passenger. So your only hope is to change the FF once you get to NRT.

STATEMENT RETRACTED -it is wrong. see new post below.

Last edited by JerryFF; Apr 3, 17 at 1:44 pm
Old Apr 2, 17, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
If you think a retroactive claim is a PITA try going through the hoops of getting them credited even though you got no miles. I went through this with UA & LH two years ago.
sounds like the airlines wouldn't look too kindly on this. guess i'll stick to the retroactive claim process to be safe then.

thank you all for the responses!
Old Apr 2, 17, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
AFAIK, a PNR can only accept 1 FF # per passenger. So your only hope is to change the FF once you get to NRT.
I have had 2 ffp numbers in 1 PNR that had 2 segments: UA & VA on 2 NZ flights.
In previous times have US Airways & VA ff numbers on 2 NZ flights (1 PNR). Those US miles became AA miles.
Never been an issue. Done that several times.

Others on FT do the same regularly, but it has risks.
Some airlines may have a 1 PNR 1 ffp number restriction, but I have not came across that.
Old Apr 3, 17, 4:52 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
sounds like the airlines wouldn't look too kindly on this. guess i'll stick to the retroactive claim process to be safe then.

thank you all for the responses!
As others mentioned, wait until you have time and request the change of FF. Save your BP after completing the flight in case you need to do a retro active claim and need to submit it as proof. Good luck.
Old Apr 3, 17, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
I wish to retract the above statement as it is not correct - I checked with my travel agent and she said that it would be possible to enter different frequent flyer numbers for different segments of an itinerary. My apologies.
Old Aug 25, 18, 1:23 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
This is my experience trying to change my FFP number. I am part way through a four-sector itinerary with UA. I'd selected SQ as my FFP before the trip, as the first sector's fare class earned more miles in that programme. After that first flight, I tried to change it online to A3 for the rest of the flights (for Gold requalification). Couldn't do it. Read on FT that I could do it via the Twitter team. That worked! Checking in for the second flight two days after the first sector, it was correctly reflected on my reservation and my BP. Unfortunately, after my second sector, the first sector posted in my A3 account despite only changing to it after the flight!
Old Aug 25, 18, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by marcelduchamp View Post
This is my experience trying to change my FFP number. I am part way through a four-sector itinerary with UA. I'd selected SQ as my FFP before the trip, as the first sector's fare class earned more miles in that programme. After that first flight, I tried to change it online to A3 for the rest of the flights (for Gold requalification). Couldn't do it. Read on FT that I could do it via the Twitter team. That worked! Checking in for the second flight two days after the first sector, it was correctly reflected on my reservation and my BP. Unfortunately, after my second sector, the first sector posted in my A3 account despite only changing to it after the flight!
it makes sense to not input FF no.,then claim retroactively..which is very simple.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:03 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
it makes sense to not input FF no.,then claim retroactively..which is very simple.
In my case, it's no big deal 'cos I've just booked another flight for requalification. I had my FFP in the reservation for *G benefits (luggage, Premier Access). I'm Gold in both programmes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: