Wiki Posts
Search

Star RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2002, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Star RTW Questions

I've got a few questions bout a Star Alliance RTW I'm thinking of from South Africa (after having caught an infectious illness called 'frwstar3-itis' from norway_asia on the AIRail):

1) Mileage Calculations:

As I understand mileage is worked out 'point to point' exclusing transfers, so:

JNB - SYD (on SQ via MRU/SIN)
'Costs' 6842 miles, which is the mileage of a direct flight on QF, as opposed to the 9281 miles actually flown.

What about something like SYD-LHR (via LAX on UA/NZ)? The shortest *A route is 10295 miles on TG (via BKK); will I pay this or the full 12951 miles flown, as this is not the 'best' Star routing?

2) Legal Routing:

Is:

SA - Austrailia - Europe (Via US inc. Pac & Atl crossings)- European Hops - Asia - Europe - SA

Where all named continents are stops, a legal routing? I'm worried in particular about the Europe - Asia - Europe part.

I can redo it to Asia - SA, but I'd rather get an extra holiday in SA for free

3) UA 'A' availability

I can't seem to find any 'A' class avilability on UA, period, in Galileo. This is a real problem as I need UA to do SYD-LAX, as it doesn't look like fun on ANA or NZ.

How am I supposed to get RTW ticket in 'A' on UA if it doesn't exist?

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Alex

Old Apr 1, 2002, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re: #3

What dates are you looking for SYD-LAX on UA?

In my experience, SYD-SFO anyway, no problem with A inventory. In fact F and A are usually equivalent.

Have your South African Travel Agent try to spring the UA A inventory free.

Old Apr 1, 2002, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by transpac:
re: #3

What dates are you looking for SYD-LAX on UA?
</font>
Was hoping for late Oct. 02 - Totally open in F
Regards,
Alex

Old Apr 1, 2002, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, just checked UAL.COM, SYD-LAX, for 24 Oct onwards, F9, A9 for availability, meaning that there is plenty of A inventory.

Not sure what you're looking at so it's hard to say, but from my perspective you should be able to get a seat in F on UA, SYD-LAX using a Star Alliance RTW (A) fare?
Old Apr 1, 2002, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by transpac:
Hmmm, just checked UAL.COM, SYD-LAX, for 24 Oct onwards, F9, A9 for availability, meaning that there is plenty of A inventory.

Not sure what you're looking at so it's hard to say, but from my perspective you should be able to get a seat in F on UA, SYD-LAX using a Star Alliance RTW (A) fare?
</font>
Hmm; Galileo shows none - I believe UA; thanks.
Regards,
Alex

Old Apr 2, 2002, 12:39 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Why torture yourself on UA - AKL-LAX is much much nicer in F. The seats arent completely falt, but they are really comfy and a great nights sleep. The service is %300 better as well.

And you can stock up on cloudy bay in AKL

Jon
Old Apr 2, 2002, 3:04 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jongar:
Why torture yourself on UA - AKL-LAX is much much nicer in F. The seats arent completely falt, but they are really comfy and a great nights sleep. The service is %300 better as well.

And you can stock up on cloudy bay in AKL

Jon
</font>
Hmm; I think it's the 3 hour hop in C, then a 3 hour wait, then a 12 hour flight in F. I'd much rather just do a 14 hour direct flight, and try to sleep in a flat bed (Two nights for the price of one ). I'm doing NZ from LAX to LHR to compare the two.
Regards,
Alex

[This message has been edited by alexwuk (edited 04-02-2002).]
Old Apr 2, 2002, 6:17 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
you could go in F from SYD-AKL, TG offer the service on a 743 then on to LAX.

Did you get confirmation about your milage routing. I thought you had to do jnb,sin,syd as 2 flights ??? and the added milage was deducted

Jon
Old Apr 2, 2002, 6:26 am

Re 1:

I'm not sure where you've gotten your information from but last time I checked whichw as last year the mileage was calculated as the mileage that was actually flown, not the "point to point" mileage. The "point to point" mileage would only apply if you were taking a single flight number with an intermediate transit. JNB - SIN and SIN - AUS will definitely not be a single flight number thus I think you will be docked the total mileage. Same with the other scenario

Re 2:

As far as I remember back tracking between continents is not allowed and only one trans pacific / trans atlantic / trans siberian sector is allowed.
You can check on the rules at travel.com.au
Just any origin and any destination, select round the world and a list of rtw fares will come up, from which you will be able to read the full rules for each

Old Apr 2, 2002, 7:41 am
In Memoriam

chiymis right:
1.) Mileage count as point to point only in case that it is one flt. no.
2.) Your routing " ... europe(an hops) - Asia- Europe - SA" violates *A RTW rules by backtracking to Europe - and I'm quite sure that " ... Europe - Asia - SA" wouldn't be allowed as well.

Why don't you go like
SA - Europe - US - OZ - Asia - SA
Old Apr 2, 2002, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bernie:
chiymis right:
1.) Mileage count as point to point only in case that it is one flt. no.
2.) Your routing " ... europe(an hops) - Asia- Europe - SA" violates *A RTW rules by backtracking to Europe - and I'm quite sure that " ... Europe - Asia - SA" wouldn't be allowed as well.

Why don't you go like
SA - Europe - US - OZ - Asia - SA
</font>
I can't really deviate as I live in Europe, and there is a six month gap between the OZ bit and the Asia bit.
Regards,
Alex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.