Wiki Posts
Search

Earning UA miles on RTW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2002, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Earning UA miles on RTW

Hi,

My brother is flying on a starlite RTW fare, and I had a few questions (He's UA Premier):

1) Would he earn UA miles for SQ which I believe is booked in H class?

2) He's flying on UA codeshare operated by LH - ZRH-FRA-UA. Is there any difference to the miles and bonuses he would earn if he were flying UA metal?

Thanks alot
goodo
Old Mar 30, 2002, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
He gets miles on SQ in H class. But for codeshares, since he's on a Star Alliance ticket, better book on the original carrier instead of the codeshare even if it is operated by a star alliance carrier.

Hence, if ZRH-FRA is operated by LH. Book it as LH instead of a UA flight number.

Old Mar 30, 2002, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

I can try, but does it make much difference?

goodo
Old Mar 31, 2002, 4:08 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Actually if ZRH-FRA is coded on UA, there is some advantage to booking the coded flight because he will get the 25% premier bonus for the flight as a UA codeshare on LH metal.

I've flown * codeshares on RTW tix and got miles just fine, but obviously it is a good idea to double check, however a UA/LH codeshare would be fine as they are so closely integrated (in these terms, anyway).

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Ansett Australia: In memory of "One of the world's great airlines"
Feb 17, 1936 - March 4, 2002. R.I.P
Old Mar 31, 2002, 4:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMEL:
Actually if ZRH-FRA is coded on UA, there is some advantage to booking the coded flight because he will get the 25% premier bonus for the flight as a UA codeshare on LH metal.
</font>
Oh no he won't.

Since neither ZRH nor FRA are in the US or Canada, then the Premier and Premier Exec bonuses do not apply.

Old Mar 31, 2002, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

So do we conclude that there's no difference what they are booked under?

goodo
Old Apr 1, 2002, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With regards to question #2, I would say that regardless of booking ZRH-FRA as an LH flight number or a UA flight number (codeshare operated by LH) in ANY Economy class, that the 500 status and program miles minimum would be earned on UA Mileage Plus (From the M+ Member's Guide: On LH, "Other Economy Class flights — 50% of actual miles flown (500-mile minimum)"). If booked as a UA codeshare the 500 mile minimum would aslo apply. Not bad for a 177 mile flight?

Additionally flights between the U.S./Canada and Germany do earn status bonuses. Again from the Member's Guide, "But it gets even better as you climb in status. Premier members receive an automatic 25% mileage bonus on valid paid flights on United, United Shuttle, United Express and United code share flights operated by Lufthansa between the U.S. or Canada and Germany."
Old Apr 1, 2002, 8:55 am
In Memoriam

When I had been with MP I always got 625 miles to my MP account (500 + 25%) for flts. within Germany on LH metal and LH flt. no.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bernie:
When I had been with MP I always got 625 miles to my MP account (500 + 25%) for flts. within Germany on LH metal and LH flt. no.</font>
In my experience I did get the bonus up through 2000, but begining in January 2001 I stopped receiving any status bonus, for LH flights other than US-Germany.

Old Apr 2, 2002, 1:44 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Quokka:
Since neither ZRH nor FRA are in the US or Canada, then the Premier and Premier Exec bonuses do not apply.</font>
I've earned Premier or Premier Exec bonuses on UA flights within Asia. They are not US or Canadian cities. I thought Premier and Premier Exec bonuses are given to all UA flights with UA flight numbers, including UA codeshares.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 4:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jazzhou:
I've earned Premier or Premier Exec bonuses on UA flights within Asia. They are not US or Canadian cities.
</font>
So what?

The US/Canada restriction is for earning a Premier or Premier Exec bonus on UA codeshares operated by LH.

From the UA MP program guide:

Premier members receive an automatic 25% mileage bonus on valid paid flights on United, United Shuttle, United Express and United code share flights operated by Lufthansa between the U.S. or Canada and Germany.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I thought Premier and Premier Exec bonuses are given to all UA flights with UA flight numbers, including UA codeshares.</font>
You thought wrong. That's not the case currently.

Reread the Mileage Plus Program Guide:

http://www.ual.com/files/15099DOM.pdf

UA code shares on non-star alliance carriers don't even earn UA status miles (only non status miles) let alone don't earn the Premier/Premier Exec bonuses. But since this is the Star forum and discussing *A RTW fares, that's not an issue here.

[This message has been edited by Quokka (edited 04-02-2002).]
Old Apr 2, 2002, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Thanks Quokka - they obviously changed the policy some time back and nicely didn't tell anyone.

However on the good news front at least UA members will get 100% mileage on _all_ LH flights from 1st June. Now that's something to be happy about!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Ansett Australia: In memory of "One of the world's great airlines"
Feb 17, 1936 - March 4, 2002. R.I.P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.