Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Confirmed *A Bookings Via Ansett

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2002, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas

Looking for some thoughts here.

I was (am) a *A Gold/Ansett Platinum. 2 Days before Ansett Australia went into Administration in September 2001 I booked a few flights from London (as I knew I was relocating here) to various destinations in Europe burning about 180k points with still another 100k plus still in the account (these points are now worthless). The bookings were with SAS, Austrian, BMI and Lufthansa however they have all said they will not honour the bookings as I do not have a ticket. While I do not have a ticket I do have an e-mail confirmation from Ansett dated before they went into Administration with a confirmation number and itenerary. Ansett simply did not get a chance (or chose not) to issue the ticket before they went under. All the airlines can see the bookings in their system...although 2 of the airlines have said that Ansett cancelled the bookings in mid Feb. (without talking to me)...very mysterious!

I believe that *A should honour these bookings, but obviously I have a vested interest.

Any thoughts or have I just lost my points/bookings?

------------------
*Wood Plat.
*A Plat...no points thanks to Ansett.
OW Gold
Old Mar 22, 2002, 4:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I guess, unfortunately, you have only creditor claims against Ansett - and that won't help much.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 7:43 pm

familiar story...
Old Mar 24, 2002, 10:21 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
You're in trouble without a paper ticket unfortunately. SQ said they would honour GR issued tix, but even then you had to have the 090 stock in hand.

It seems like you were just too late in making your bookings (in terms of the AN colapse as they didn't get to issue the paper).

Your only slight hope was if a ticket # was in the booked PNR's, but if someone at AN cxld those in Feb then there's no hope, sadly.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Ansett Australia: In memory of "One of the world's great airlines"
Feb 17, 1936 - March 4, 2002. R.I.P
Old Mar 25, 2002, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
You have to look at the airlines' point of view.

Yes they have an agreement with Ansett. But that airline no longer exists. Prior to just a couple of weeks ago, everything was fine though.

But now, even if they have your reservation on their file, who is going to pay them for issuing you your ticket? The Ansett ghost of Christmas past?

Even for people who have existing tickets issued on 090 (Ansett) stock, it is very much an iffy situation now that AN is permenantly closed. I know for a fact that SQ has stopped accepting AN tickets even for their flights now. Because ANSETT simply does not exist anymore.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Agree...but as I have a confirmed booking are not the airlines themselves a creditor to Ansett as opposed to me?

If I didn't have a booking (although I would still be really annoyed that *A have ignored Ansett customers - especially those that 'earnt' most of their miles on *A partner airlines) I would accept that I am a creditor of the bankrupt Ansett...but as I had a confirmed booking (in writing) and the points taken out of my account before Ansett went under, doesn't that mean it is the other airlines who have the repsonsibility to get whatever they can off Ansett and not me?...again I accept that I have a vested interest though!!!

Welcome any comments...

------------------
*Wood Plat.
*A Plat...no points thanks to Ansett.
OW Gold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.