Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold Lounge... in a hotel?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2002, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat

Was trolling around and saw this on the Eurobonus Gold page...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
You are welcome to Star Alliance lounge in the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel.
This hotel is located in London at Leicester Square, and is open daily from 07.00 to 23.00. The lounge offers a complimentary drink, tea/coffe and access to the Internet. Gold members may be accompanied by one guest.
</font>
Has anyone been here???

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Ansett Australia: In memory of "One of the world's great airlines"
Feb 17, 1936 - March 4, 2002. R.I.P
Old Mar 11, 2002, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Has anyone been here???</font>
I didn't even know it existed.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 7:27 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Similarly, from Air Canada's site:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Press Releases
June 3, 1999

AIR CANADA OFFERS PREMIUM CUSTOMERS THE COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE OF CITY CENTRE LOUNGES WHEN VISITING LONDON

MONTREAL - Air Canada is now offering its premium customers the use of two exclusive lounges in the heart of London for meetings, business services or simply as a relaxing 'pied à terre' to escape the hustle and bustle of one of Europe's busiest cities.

Air Canada is working in partnership with the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Group London to offer this new service. Dedicated lounges have been established at the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire in Leicester Square and the Radisson Edwardian Mountbatten Hotel in Covent Garden. A third location will be added later this summer. The lounges provide a quiet oasis for customers and offer complimentary welcome drinks as well as business services including fax, printers, Internet access, and phones. A concierge is available to cater to special customer needs or requests. Lounges are open daily from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m.

"Air Canada is continually looking for amenities and services to maintain its leadership position as an airline which best meets the needs of premium international travellers," said Rupert Duchesne, Vice President, Marketing. "These new city centre lounges add an extra dimension to the Air Canada service and provide extra value to our most valued customers - even after they have left the airport."

London City Centre lounges are open to Air Canada Executive First customers as well as Aeroplan Elite and Super Elite members and Star Alliance Gold Card holders.
</font>
http://www.aircanada.ca/about-us/news/060399a.html
Old Mar 11, 2002, 9:41 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
I remember that news from LH too, anybody ever been there.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:06 am

BA seems to have a similar, in the city of London lounge, for First and BA Premier and Gold passengers for ticketing, as well as a bar with free drinks and snacks it seems, not 100% sure.

I wonder if this hotel thing, that the lounge in the Club Floor, do Radisson's have Club Floors?
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:16 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I only found out, on my home from LHR run

And my hotel was less than a mile away too....
Old Mar 11, 2002, 11:04 am

In a sentence: Don't bother.

I can honestly say it really is not worth the effort to get there. When I was there I was in this small room with some sofas, they served me a warm beer and I got a magazine and left.

End of story. So.. you make your own judgements whether this "lounge" is worth the tube ticket...
Old Mar 11, 2002, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Hmm if the deal has been going for over 2 years (ref the AC release quoted) and yet we only just seemed to pick up on it (in general) does this say much for Star's marketing, or is supposed to be a "hidden secret"???

And why is it only in London? Could it have been a pilot project to see how well it might go over? Or just a tie in with SAS's ownership/holding in the Raddison chain?

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Ansett Australia: In memory of "One of the world's great airlines"
Feb 17, 1936 - March 4, 2002. R.I.P
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Used that lounge a couple of years back, when first mentioned. Big benefit for smokers, air was so thick you did not even need to light up your own!
Free drink, but ....
Like many other things, you do it once.
Koala
Old Mar 12, 2002, 1:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Since it is directly in front of the half-price theatre ticket booth, I can see how it might be nice for a little break while someone else is waiting in the queue.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 6:40 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
you beat me to it A.F.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 2:50 pm

This "benefit" was dropped from the recent AC *G 2002 booklet. I never tried the lounge though.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 5:56 pm

I'll be in London over the weekend. Maybe I'll check it out. So, what are the requirements for access? Simply show my UA *Gold card?
Old Mar 14, 2002, 1:19 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FTraveler:
I'll be in London over the weekend. Maybe I'll check it out. So, what are the requirements for access? Simply show my UA *Gold card? </font>
That's my understanding.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Used this a couple of times over the years it was offered, and as it was England there was little problem for me in having a less than frigid pint of ale. AC used to provide an information card to their J passengers detailing this lounge and their own Arrivals Lounge. As noted, however, there is no reference to it in this year's guide. There used to be one at two other properties in London, but never got to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.