Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH or Thai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2002, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
LH or Thai

Hi,

As part of a RTW I am flying from BKK to LHR. The only options with availability are TG from BKK/LHR direct or LH flying BKK/FRA/LHR.

I have heard that Y in LH and TG is nothing to rave home about, or infact can be downright pitiful but of these two is there any glimmer of hope that would place one over the other.

I know the purists would say to go LH for the extra miles but time is tightish to put a dampener on messing around.

Also the Lauda option via VIE is fully booked and waitlists do not look healthy. Nor do I have the miles up my sleave on the RTW to go back to SIN and pick up SQ.

Mark
Old Mar 14, 2002, 8:18 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
In your 'case' I would choose TG - just to 'stay' a little bit longer in Thailand mood (service attentivness).

For the miles and because of my upgrade possibilities as a LH Senator, for me, the LH (if LH would confirm my upgrade) connection through FRA would be then my first choice (if the additinal miles wouldn't get me over the over-all-mileage limit permitted (29'000/34'000/39'000).
Old Mar 14, 2002, 8:27 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koru Flyer:
Hi,

As part of a RTW I am flying from BKK to LHR. The only options with availability are TG from BKK/LHR direct or LH flying BKK/FRA/LHR.

I have heard that Y in LH and TG is nothing to rave home about, or infact can be downright pitiful but of these two is there any glimmer of hope that would place one over the other.

I know the purists would say to go LH for the extra miles but time is tightish to put a dampener on messing around.

Also the Lauda option via VIE is fully booked and waitlists do not look healthy. Nor do I have the miles up my sleave on the RTW to go back to SIN and pick up SQ.

Mark
</font>
TG's pitch in Y is quite good, their service in Y is the best Y service in *.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 9:55 am

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Hi Mark

I haven't flown Thai, but I've taken LH a few times too many and try to avoid them if I can. There's nothing really wrong with them, it's just that the service has no warmth and I find the seats a bit uncomfortable. If I were you, I'd go for the direct flight on Thai.

Cheers, Zac
Old Mar 14, 2002, 10:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Zaco:
Hi Mark

I haven't flown Thai, but I've taken LH a few times too many and try to avoid them if I can. There's nothing really wrong with them, it's just that the service has no warmth and I find the seats a bit uncomfortable. If I were you, I'd go for the direct flight on Thai.

Cheers, Zac
</font>

You reflect my opinion Zac.

My recommendation is also to chose TG over LH.

Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:51 am

Yep, go with TG. I'm tall and still find the seats in Y to be quite roomy.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 3:29 pm
Uli

Just like to be number four of recommending THAI in Y class. As long as Lufthansa does not offer broadband internet for free at all Y seats to keep yourself busy you are much better off with ANY asian carrier. They do value your business more in Y.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 3:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Uli, I did count you as #5 ...
Old Mar 14, 2002, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
Uli, I did count you as #5 ...</font>
Maybe too much Sekt on the train ?
Old Mar 14, 2002, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I recall seeing awhile back a TG 777 seatmap with 10 across in Y (3-4-3 config) - which would have scared me away - is this a domestic-only config? Did they eliminate it? Or is the standard Y config?
Old Mar 14, 2002, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
TG's 744 (which would be doing BKK-LHR) Y pitch is very very decent... 33" or so IIRC. Comfy nice seats and good food. Much nicer than the LH cattle car experience. If you have to fly Y, I'd go TG on this route.

(Also, as a UA member I'd avoid LH as you'd only get 50% mileage for BKK-FRA...)

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Ansett Australia: In memory of "One of the world's great airlines"
Feb 17, 1936 - March 4, 2002. R.I.P
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
TG also flies BKK-MUC. About 1.5 years ago I took several times this flight (MD11). The load was especially in Y class quite low. So it was even better to switch from C-class to Y-class and take a complete row in the middle seats. As far as I know TG uses a B744 now.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 4:32 am

Programs: EBS
I would say, no question about it, I feel cramped and claustrophobic in a LH 744 Y seat. I don't know why. I will not do Lufthansa in coach again. IMHO the food is also terrible and drinks are offered in plasticglasses!! even on intercontinental flights. From CPH to Frankfurt, last time, I got at frozen dry sandwich.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 5:21 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bjerregaard:
I would say, no question about it, I feel cramped and claustrophobic in a LH 744 Y seat. I don't know why. I will not do Lufthansa in coach again. IMHO the food is also terrible and drinks are offered in plasticglasses!! even on intercontinental flights. From CPH to Frankfurt, last time, I got at frozen dry sandwich.</font>
Eventhough I recommended TG over LH, IMHO LH's Y is seat, food and servicewise better than UA Y- e.g. .
Old Mar 15, 2002, 10:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by peter42:
Eventhough I recommended TG over LH, IMHO LH's Y is seat, food and servicewise better than UA Y- e.g. .</font>
Food and service, certainly, but it is hard to beat E+ on long haul flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.