Wiki Posts
Search

codeshare on RTW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2001, 9:30 am
Original Poster

codeshare on RTW

Hi,

If a flight has a * flight number, but is operated by a non * carrier, but is not exluded in the rules can it be used in a RTW?

goodo
Old Jun 17, 2001, 9:40 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
the general *-rtw-rules exclude such flights.

what carrier is your personal concern?
Old Jun 17, 2001, 10:18 am

One exampel of such a flight is CPH/ARN-REK which has a SK flightnumber but its operated by FI and therefore you cant use it for a * RTW no matter if you book on the SK flight number.
Old Jun 17, 2001, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
goodo - Please be specific. The rules specify which flights you can and can not book, so you may be in luck

(I wonder if anyone ever booked the TG flight BKK-TLV, flown by LY but on a valid TG number NOT disallowed by the rules )

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jun 18, 2001, 8:35 am
Original Member

Another one that is probably not a concern is this situation, but could be for other *A RTW is the RG / SA code-share from GRU to JNB operated by SAA. This is the only flight from South America to Africa on anything related to *A. (MH also flies the route, but of course they're not *A).
Old Jun 18, 2001, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Yes RichardMEL, that's the flight I'm referring to. TG 4593 BKK-TLV.

It's not allowed because "VALID ON ALL FLIGHTS O P E R A T E D BY AN/BD/AC/LH/MX/NG/NH/NZ/OS/RG/SK/SQ/TG/UA/VO
ONLY - N O CODESHARE FLIGHTS OPERATED BY OTHER CARRIERS PERMITTED", but it is allowed because "3.TRAVEL IS N O T PERMITTED ON THE FOLLOWING CODESHARE FLTS(NBRS/RANGES) OPERATED BY - TG:4500-4503/4700-4703/4786-4795/7100-7101/7500-7501".

I know of a number of people who have flown on it - one of them i got to see the ticket. The far basis was i think YRTWLITE (Starlite fare) issued my a major Australian travel agency. My travel agency told me I couldn't use it, and was quoted a higher airfare because i was book to TLV via FRA (and going via Europe does add quite a few miles).

Any ideas?
goodo
Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:42 pm

(I am a mind reader, woohoo ).

Well the rules are contradictory, or at least you could try arguing that they are - ie: the flight # is PERMITTED because it is not in the EXCLUDED list. I'd say this is what the agency who issued the YHRWLITE fare did, and somehow TG let them (or it didn't get spotted, or noone cared). I would argue with your agency(or shop around till you get one willing to issue a tix for that flight ) that the flight number is not specifically excluded, which may well mean TG is happy for you to fly on that sector as it were their own metal.

In years before SQ joined *, I flew N4286 (I think) SIN-AKL, NZ flight #, oper by SQ. It was allowed under the * rules of the day even though it actually broke the rules.

I'd agree, that the more general exclusion likely overrides the excluded flight # list, but I guess it depends on what a specific agent is willing to read and follow.

Let us know how you go

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 12:06 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
There seem to be a lot of AN domestic codeshares that are allowed on the StarRTW rules too. And not just on the planes that fly AN colours eg Kendell.

An example that I got the OK for was AN7221 Cairns-Darwin. That's operated by Flight West.

Old Jun 19, 2001, 1:08 am

Ausrman, Not anymore since YC went under today

but AN is a different story - those regionals - specially KD (Kendall) are very closely affiliated with the "mother" carrier (this is in essence why VO and NG are Star members, OS is the one that actually joined and dragged them in with it). AN dragged its regionals in, much as UA did with UA express (note though, prior to about 1999 you could *not* book vast numbers of UA* flights under a Star RTW until they sorted that one out). AC is similar with all those little connectors and now CP and CP Regional's.

In fact KD advertises heavily with the "A Star Alliance Member" tagline.

This is quite seperate to the TG/LY issue where El Al is most certainly nothing close to the Star Alliance.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 5:06 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
RichardMEL:
Sad about Flight West. I just saw the story on tonight's news (after my post).

Apparently they flew to 45 destinations in New South Wales, Queensland and the Northern Territory. I wonder if AN might take over some of their routes? I was surprised that AN themselves did not fly non-stop Cairns-Darwin. QF does and now there will be no competition.
Old Jun 24, 2001, 11:20 pm

An update on this issue. I forwarded the question in principle to someone I know who does some ticketing within a * carrier, and they said that they *would* ticket that TG flight, as it was not specifically excluded in the flight number list however the rules change constantly (ie: you can bet if/when TG gets wind of that, they will make sure the flights hit the exclude list) so book and ticket quick I reckon

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 1:34 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
FlightWest took over from AN on Cairns-Alice Springs late last year. I used this flight as part of a *A RTW as it was originally a AN operated flight.

Have they gone under? Their website is still functioning.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 9:55 pm
Original Member

So do according to those rules, could one ticket a LH flight with the UA code so that UA Elites would get their bonus?
Old Mar 4, 2002, 11:07 pm

Yes, as far as I can tell you can do that - as long as the specific flight numbers are not on the excluded list, and I don't think they are for UA/LH.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Ansett Australia: In memory of "One of the world's great airlines"
Feb 17, 1936 - March 4, 2002. R.I.P
Old Mar 5, 2002, 12:50 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
leroy11: So do according to those rules, could one ticket a LH flight with the UA code so that UA Elites would get their bonus?

* LH (Swiss office) didn't accept this
* UA (Frankfurt) did allow it
* using you UA Mileage Plus ff-program you have the advantage of getting the 25%/100% status bonus (Premier/Premier Executive status) - the disadvantage that you can't upgrade such code-share-flights (UA flight number / LH carrier) with UA miles or UA vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.