Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

No changes to first intercontintal segment rule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2001, 11:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat

Hi,

I'm booked on a * RTW, due to leave in a week's time. I've just had some changes to my plans here, which will mean that I have to leave a day later if at all possible. My first segment is a UA flight LHR-ORD. How strictly is the rule that forbids changes to the first segment enforced? If I ask my travel agent to make the change, is it likely to be immediately rejected?

Has anybody any experience trying to do something like this before?

Thanks!
star_world
Old Oct 7, 2001, 11:37 am
In Memoriam

There is usually no problem with date changes ... route changes are not allowed with the first segment
Old Oct 13, 2001, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC-E, LH-SEN, AA-PLT, KLM GE
Can anyone verify the actual rules regarding date changes up to and including the first intercontinental segment on a *RTW. I have the option to purchase a *RTW J ticket in either Sweden or Bangkok, but I prefer to buy it in Bangkok because I will end my current UA/CX RTW there. However, I need to be in Indonesia on business before my first intercontinental segment to AKL. Therefore I don't know the exact date I will travel to AKL. For sure the routing (or even flight numbers) won't change but I need to be able to change the date if necessary. Can anyone recommend a good source of *RTW info here in North America? UA, AC, SK res. lines perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Wingman
Old Oct 13, 2001, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
It's my understanding that the restrictions on changes depend in part on where you purchased the ticket. From Australia (and from most countries, except U.S.) I know that if you haven't started any of your travel, then ANY changes can be made (even your 1st intercont. segment). The changes can be made because when originating in these countries, the RTW tickets are fully refundable pre-departure. If, however, you HAVE started some of your travel, then the first intercontinental segment (even just date/time changes) can NOT be made. In addition, all segments leading up to that 1st intercont. segment can NOT be changed.

travel.com.au can be useful for reading rules on various RTW fares, including of course Star's.

Question for you: How much did you pay for your UA/CX RTW fare originating in BKK. Were you able to purchase it outside of Thailand, or did you have to pick it up there?
Old Oct 13, 2001, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC-E, LH-SEN, AA-PLT, KLM GE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFO_FT:
Question for you: How much did you pay for your UA/CX RTW fare originating in BKK. Were you able to purchase it outside of Thailand, or did you have to pick it up there?</font>
SFO_FT, I paid 148000 Thai baht (about USD 3300) for the UA/CX RTW in First Class. Unfortunately, it must be purchased and picked up in Bangkok. The price also went up to about 196000 Thai baht last August. You can still buy this RTW ex-Canada at the old price for CAD6110 in first or CAD4800 in biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.