Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star FF program for me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2001, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor

As my Qualiflyer miles are most likely not worth anything anymore, I am looking for an alternative. Since LH has pretty good fares out of Zurich, I guess that I will fly them fairly frequently from now on. I'm already booked on one LH and one OS trip, yet I'm no member of any Star Frequent Flyer program so far. What would be the best one for me to join?

Here's my travel profile:

I am based in ZRH, and will mostly use LH and OS for mostly intra-European flights, with the occasional transatlantic flight and rarely flights to Asia. All flights will be in Economy, flying on student fares. (Y-30%) I intend to spend miles rather on transatlantic upgrades than on free flights.

Some kind of mid-tier status would be nice, but given my total yearly travel I guess I won't make it to a top level.

I very much appreciate your help.

airoli
Old Oct 4, 2001, 11:25 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am pretty sure that LH's miles&more is a very good program for you: upgrades on/with any paid fare on LH (and Austrian/Lauda/Tyrolian) , and also high minimum fares for your (short) inner-European segments of 1'000 status miles (1'250 once you have reached frequent flier status).
Old Oct 4, 2001, 8:56 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
LH is a very interesting option for someone based in Europe. LH awards, personally, scare me off as they demand too many miles.

Personally LH is fantastic for Bus and 1st class passengers.

If you are into getting access to lounges consider AC as well... They only require 35.000 miles to offer you Star Alliance Gold.
Old Oct 5, 2001, 2:53 am

Go with Miles&More. They offer relatively high minimum mileage and they are a good choice if you want to upgrade on NA flights as all published fares can be upgraded with miles.
Forget UA as they only give limited mileage for LH flights in Europe.
Old Oct 5, 2001, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Thank you for your feedback. Based on it I have chosen to become a Miles&More Member. I already have a temporary paper member card and after my first trip will have enough miles to get the "real" one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.