Wiki Posts
Search

RTW problem if AN fails

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2001, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
RTW problem if AN fails

My family and I have RTW 29'000 tickets in business class. We have flown ZRH-YYZ-NRT and were planning to fly NRT-KIX-BNE-SYD-KIX with AN at Christmas (before continuing KIX-BKK-FRA-ZRH) in the Spring. We already have accommodation booked on the Gold Coast for Christmas and I would hate not to be able to go. If AN goes tits up, has anyone got any idea how I could save the trip. I have looked at other options (NZ through AKL or SQ through SIN), but the miles go over the limit. Would *A give some latitude in case of an involuntary rerouting like this, or would it just be a question of "tough!"?
Old Sep 12, 2001, 5:11 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer on this. Hopefully AN will not fail.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 11:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Snoopy:
If AN goes tits up, has anyone got any idea how I could save the trip. I have looked at other options (NZ through AKL or SQ through SIN), but the miles go over the limit. Would *A give some latitude in case of an involuntary rerouting like this, or would it just be a question of "tough!"?</font>
I would suspect it depends a lot on the airline which issued your ticket. So long as that's not AN, surely they would be required to get you to your destination(s) by some other route, as available.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have the same problem with a ticket that I am paying for on Saturday. I have an Ansett sector on a 39000 miles C RTW for October.
Old Sep 13, 2001, 1:35 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
The Star ALliance should protect you as best they can. If a member fails at the least Star should reaccom you on another member, and you'd think they would not bother with the extra mileage of going on SQ or NZ because it would be an invol change/reroute.

However I am sure someone at Star Alliance HQ is working on policy even as I type.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Sep 13, 2001, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance

I am sure that "She who must be obeyed" would give me a hard time if our plans founder. After all, it was my idea!
Old Sep 13, 2001, 7:17 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Well, that may just happen - Ansett ceases operations at midnight tonight AEST.

R.I.P. Ansett Australia.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Sep 13, 2001, 11:28 pm

My ticket isn't issued yet but I plan to get it issued tomorrow and then sort out the problem! All Ansett flights have been deleted from Expedia's web site - they're still at the Star Alliance site!

I guess I'll protect myself space on SQ once I have it and then see if Ansett ever flies again.

At the moment flying on UA looks like it might be a problem if some of the rumours on the UA board are true .

Anyway I guess I just need to wait and see and hope that the Amex card will get me home!
Old Sep 14, 2001, 9:51 pm

OK. so Ansett is gone... but this doesn't close out most of the RTWs... For the KIX/BNE/SYD legs there are options... you can take SQ from KIX and change in SIN for BNE.

The leg to Sydney is also doable... several foreing airlines are doing BNE/SYD and MEL/SYD while they are in Australia. All Nippon were doing it before they dropped the flights and code shared with AN... Thai and other still do the SYD/MEL legs. Of course All Nippon may pick up their flights again with AN gone.

Markie I think you were concerned about a SYD/MEL/SYD leg of your RTW... UA can fly you into or out of either Sydney or Melbourne, as can either Thai or SQ or of course Air NZ. The problem is getting between them... doable with a number of international airlines currently as mentioned above.
Old Sep 15, 2001, 5:21 am
Original Poster

I know that I COULD do it with *A flights. The only question for me is whether *A will accept it because all options would push my ticket above the 29'000 mile mark by as much as 4'000 miles. The best option for me would be from Japan and back via AKL with NZ. (I know that is ironic given the situation...but that's the way it is).
Old Sep 16, 2001, 2:46 am

It seems if you're ticketed then it's OK - if not then you have to remove all Ansett legs. Their flights are out of the schedules and I had to totally rearrange my flights at the last minute on Friday follow the AN collapse.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 11:42 pm

I've also just had to do this again as UA have withdrawn HKG-DEL-LHR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.