Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

No UA credit for LH flight operated by BD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2001, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

What a bizarre world I live in. I was flying LHR-MAD a couple of months ago and was flying on a LH ticket but the flight was actually BD....both of them are Star Alliance partners.

Weird thing is that UA says they're not sure I will get MP credit for the flight (or towards MP status for that matter) since it was a code share.

What the heck is this?? Both airlines are Star Alliance partners!! *A is getting the revenue, no matter if it was a codeshare or not!

Anybody with similar experiences?
Old May 29, 2001, 1:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
You should get credit (assuming the fare you travelled on is eligible for miles). Write UA.
Old May 29, 2001, 1:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
yes - you earn miles (not the miles for LH flights, but the miles Mileage Plus gives for BD) on such flights.
Old May 30, 2001, 8:16 am

I've flown STN-HAM return on a Lufthansa flight number, on a flight operated by British Midland, and points credited to my UA account automatically within 2 days. (Under Lufthansa rules - I got the 500 mile min for a Lufthansa flight, rather than the 250 miles for a BD 'leisure' flight)

(This may not have been an official code share though - I think Lufthansa were the 'real' flight number, and BD had the codeshare, as I think the plane was effectively chartered to Lufthansa by British Midland Commuter....)

[This message has been edited by Conrad (edited 05-30-2001).]
Old Jun 7, 2001, 11:20 am
Original Poster

The powers that be at MP refuse to give me credit for this flight.

LHR-MAD
Ticket was for LH 6945
Actual flight was BD 481
Class of service was C-class

This is annoying since both the codeshare airline and actual airline are star alliance partners, so the revenue is in the family. It's not like I was flying on some Aer Lingus ticket or something like that....it was a United/Lufthansa itinerary.

whatever...
Old Jun 7, 2001, 12:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
That's bizarre as there is nothing in the member guide about such a thing for Star Alliance airlines (there is a statement about some codeshares being excluded for other partner airlines). The rules do differ from airline to airline though and some Star carriers are very clear about the rules.

Air Canada is very clear on LH flights: "Not eligible: charter flights and code-share flights operated by any Lufthansa code-share partner other than Star Alliance airlines."

and for BD flights "Not eligible: charter flights and code-share flights operated by any British Midland code-share partner other than Air Canada."
Old Jun 7, 2001, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
This is crazy. You should get credit after writing to United.
Old Jun 8, 2001, 5:17 am

agreed - have flown MUC - STN several times (LH flight # but operated by BD) and always got MP credit
Old Jun 8, 2001, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Spoke to 2 reps and a supervisor. They
said I was SOL
Old Jun 8, 2001, 2:16 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I often fly with LH tickets on BD metal to Brussels or Munich from London. No problems with getting credit with Air Canada. I am not sure why UA would be any different.

I am however waiting on credit for a Contact Air (team lufthansa) flight with a LH number for a flight from Bologna to Munich. Its a codeshare with a non-* alliance airline so I am not expecting credit.

juanvaldez - what is a Taco Bell Platinum?

[This message has been edited by davistev (edited 06-08-2001).]
Old Jun 9, 2001, 6:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:

I am however waiting on credit for a Contact Air (team lufthansa) flight with a LH number for a flight from Bologna to Munich. Its a codeshare with a non-* alliance airline so I am not expecting credit.

[This message has been edited by davistev (edited 06-08-2001).]
</font>
You shouldn't have any problem with the Contact Air flight as they are not really codeshare flights. They are actually operated by Contact Air on behalf of Lufthansa, so you should get your miles.

I remember flying on UA metal a couple of years back between Washington and Frankfurt I think it was. I had a an LH ticket and was flying on a LH flight number. I didn't get the miles for the same reason as the original poster.

I would love to know what the rationale is behind that rule. I just cannot figure it out.
Old Jun 11, 2001, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I suspect these things might happen because either:

1) The codeshare number is some discount seat that the partner airline bought.

2) The two carriers compete in the same market. I know that the OneWorld alliance has some funny rule stating that you cannot earn AA miles if you fly on BA flights from the US to UK if AA flies the same route.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Snoopy:

I remember flying on UA metal a couple of years back between Washington and Frankfurt I think it was. I had a an LH ticket and was flying on a LH flight number. I didn't get the miles for the same reason as the original poster.

I would love to know what the rationale is behind that rule. I just cannot figure it out.
</font>
Old Jun 11, 2001, 8:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by juanvaldez:
I suspect these things might happen because either:

1) The codeshare number is some discount seat that the partner airline bought.

2) The two carriers compete in the same market. I know that the OneWorld alliance has some funny rule stating that you cannot earn AA miles if you fly on BA flights from the US to UK if AA flies the same route.

</font>
Well, no actually it was a full C-class fare that I was flying on, so hardly discounted. So that doesn't explain it really.

The AA/BA issue was an anti-trust measure by either the British and/or US governments because both carriers together occupy such a large share of the transatlantic market.

I would really like to see someone from one of the airlines or the alliance explaining why one does not get any miles under these circumstances.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 5:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
I fly regularly on Contact Air flights with LH numbers BSL - FRA. The flights always post to M&M. 1000 for M, now Y, and 2000 for C.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 11:32 pm

This comment is unrelated to the main topic.

Snoopy, you are right that there are anti-trust issues involved in AA/BA sharing business information. However, this does NOT limit them from granting each other's FF members miles on trans-Atlantic flights. That is a private business decision by AA/BA to preserve their core programs. They can change that anytime WITHOUT anti-trust immunity being granted by the US govt. Anti-trust immunity is needed more for sharing pricing, market strategies, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.