Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Who do we want to poach first from OneWorld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2000, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

Who we gonna steal first!!

Aer Lingus
American
British Airways
Cathay
Finnair
Iberia
LanChile
Qantas

I guess there are two ways to look at it...

1) Who fills our holes?
2) Who is a good replacement for one (or more) of our carriers?

Dorian

------------------
Dorian's Star Alliance RTW Price Chart: http://www.informationlab.com/rtw.htm
Blondebomber's Star Alliance Comparison Chart: http://members.home.net/deercroft/starall00.html
Old Oct 27, 2000, 3:07 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
any exept that arrogant bunch of ******* BA
Old Oct 27, 2000, 3:12 pm

Wish list:

CX for being such a world class airline, to replace TG

and,

If we can grab Swissair too... for their amazing First Class (when I have enough miles )

Personally, that's it! I don't particularly like any of the other carriers... I love the way people are asking this question at all! Pick and choose...

Old Oct 27, 2000, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I kind of feel that Qantas and American are not really 'poachable'. What does that leave?

I'll take CX and AY (I have to go to Helsinki at least 5 times per year so another option would help me).

I could be talked into BA as they have like 2 or 3 dailes from my home field, BOS, to LHR.
Old Oct 27, 2000, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I guess LanChile and Finnair would likely fill the most holes. Too bad there is no real fill for Africa. Also too bad I like SQ so much...would be nice to add CX...

I would hate to see AA/BA in there...

Dorian

------------------
Blondebomber's Star Alliance Comparison Chart: http://members.home.net/deercroft/starall00.html
Old Oct 27, 2000, 6:17 pm
West Coast 1K

I would love BA. They seem to have the best international network around. Getting to east africa on *A is almost impossible!

Old Oct 27, 2000, 8:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
BA/AA/QF would not happen.

With BA you would run into the same open-skies issue facing AA/BA giving UA's presense in LHR.

AA, anti-trust in the US. Also does not benefit UA at all.

QF financially linked to BA (am I correct on this?).

CX will probably not happen given SQ (and TG) will not allow it. "Replacing" SQ with CX does not yield any extra benefit.

That leaves EI, AY, IB, and LA "available."
Old Oct 27, 2000, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
BA is part owner of QF and IB.
Old Oct 28, 2000, 1:20 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
[*]I don't like OneWorld becoming weaker and weaker, I prefer more/better competition from OneWorld to keep StarAlliance focussed on getting better and better (for costumers) [*]I might suffer more from having to share GoldPriviliges with more Elite flyers if another 'major' would join Star, than I might profit from using that new StarAlliance member.[*]I would like, yes, more Africa and (inner-) China coverage and I wouldn't mind Finnair as well.
Old Oct 28, 2000, 1:24 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

I agree with Rudi.

Actually, by raiding One World I meant going on strategic mileage runs to get top tier status... I would rather 1W stays on and keeps the service up in *A.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Oct 28, 2000, 2:40 am

I am also totally in agreement with Rudi's perspectives. Next year, I hope to really get the chance to compare *A and OW as I will most likely be an elite member in OW as well. The competition is what keeps them in shape!
Old Oct 28, 2000, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Well...no offense to Rudi ...but I find the competition thing pretty obvious. Of course we want strong alliances so we don't have declining service.

This thread is hypothetical anyway...I hope.

Besides...looks like Skyteam may be ramping up.

Dorian

------------------
Old Oct 28, 2000, 2:16 pm

I dont think AY ever will join the *. We already have SK,LH,OS,VO,BD and NG as European carriers in the alliance and I cant ever see SK and AY in the same alliance but I could be wrong.
Old Oct 28, 2000, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
I'd like to see some additional coverage of the baltics, especially with the EU extension talks going on. SK has a codeshare agreement with Estonian Airlines, but I couldn't get M&M miles on these flights. AY would feed the missing gaps nicely, but otherwise cut into SK's business, as Kempis said. I, too, agree with Rudi: Competition will strengthen *A from a customer perspective more than coalition.
Old Oct 28, 2000, 3:28 pm
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
EI, pleeeeeeese!

Not much of a chance, of course, with BD in *A, but you never know. Maybe when pigs fly. Oh, never mind. That US joke is getting crispy.

For an EI update, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/001213.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.