Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which to choose BKK-SFO EVA or TG/NH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

I have one of those questions that FTers (I hope) like to debate..

I have an award business class ticket TG (A380) connects to NH (777 - single aisle seat at window) but with only a 1h10 min connection in NRT. Normally that should be fine. I've been reading on this forum that security transfer times in NRT have been very lengthy lately. So a bit nervous here.....

A seat just opened on EVA - haven't flown, but heard good things. 2 hour plus transfer in TPE. All 777. Single aisle seat BKK-TPE, but then center seat of 2 on TPE/SFO. Do those seats feel private? I have read they are a bit narrow, but so am I, so not too worried about that.

Which would you choose? I am 1k so can cancel no fee.....Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the complaints of the BR RL middle seats is that if you fly with a companion, you have to lean forward to talk. So, I guess they are private. Also, better seats will get released at the airport.

All that said, if you have not been on the 380, that is a consideration.

I would probably do EVA because I hate to rush at connecting points.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:59 pm

EVA business class service is amazing. Very attentive and helpful.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'd go EVA. Pound for pound one of the best, if not the best business class products out there.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
I'd go EVA. Pound for pound one of the best, if not the best business class products out there.
Excellent feedback thanks. I'm a fan of NH so maybe it's time compare. The EVA flight leaves BKK later so I don't have a rushed morning either, if I go that way....
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Excellent feedback thanks. I'm a fan of NH so maybe it's time compare. The EVA flight leaves BKK later so I don't have a rushed morning either, if I go that way....
That's a big plus. The early BKK departure is no fun.

The TG 380s are getting pretty beat up as well.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
I would have no problem recommending the EVA J product. Solid all around. Though the lounges in TPE is a notch below NRT's. However, with the tight connection it might not even matter to OP.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Not sure I agree that the lounges in TPE are a notch below NRT. I have never felt the food offerings at NRT are that great.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mapleg
Not sure I agree that the lounges in TPE are a notch below NRT. I have never felt the food offerings at NRT are that great.
The noodle bar is nice, and I hear they now have better sushi, but I agree otherwise the NRT lounges are nothing special. In the NH lounges the constant flight departure announcements get really old really fast.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The view is better from the UA NRT lounge as well as the great view from the NH lounge in the other satellite.

I have not transitted NRT for a while. From what I remember, I think the food in both the BR and SQ lounges in TPE is better than the UA and NH J lounges (NH seemed to be getting worse for a while, while UA seemed to have gotten better) and not too much worse than the NH or UA F lounges. The NH noodle bar is more gimmicky than actually giving you nutritious food.

The NRT lounges look more impressive though - bigger, more light and higher ceiling. Showers are probably also better at NRT.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:57 am
Original Poster

I'm opting for EVA I think....will report out. Nobody voted for the other option, and this is a tough crowd!

BTW - do people say it as EE-VA or E.V.A.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
I just said the NRT lounges are just a notch, not miles, above the TPE lounges...

To me, the noodle bar, the beer machine, the view, better lighting make me enjoy the *A lounges at NRT more than at TPE. Also, I found the food at TPE not that appealing, at least to me.

However, I don't mind spending time at the BR lounge at TPE at all. It's better than OZ's at ICN, much much better than CA's at PEK.

Last edited by LAX/HKG; Jan 10, 2017 at 10:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I'm opting for EVA I think....will report out. Nobody voted for the other option, and this is a tough crowd!

BTW - do people say it as EE-VA or E.V.A.
It is E-V-A Air - not Eva. However, you will hear even their own pilots say Eva.

Supposedly it means EVergreen Airlines but Evergreen Airlines was already taken when they started.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by username
It is E-V-A Air - not Eva. However, you will hear even their own pilots say Eva.

Supposedly it means EVergreen Airlines but Evergreen Airlines was already taken when they started.
HUH?
EVA WAS Evergreen Airlines originally, then they changed the name to EVA.
Still owned by Evergreen group.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Reporting out briefly, very happy to have taken the BR. Just got back to SFO after BKK-TPE-SFO. Pretty great start to finish. I really felt the seat and service were top notch. Seat was a bit hard to get into and out of, but very private and comfortable. Felt first class.

Service attentive, personable, and great english spoken.

The food was much better than what I have read here. The cod from TPE to SFO was simply amazing...soft as silk and so good!

Lounges were regular, transfer in TPE very fast, overall nothing to complain about!

While I missed the Japanese menu from ANA, I preferred BR overall. Actually thy remind me more of Asiana than any other airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.