Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United vs Ana miles

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

United vs Ana miles

Hi guys! I'm pretty new to the points game and I wanted to get LAX-NRT on business using miles by transferring points from Chase Ultimate. Using their respective websites, United round trip is 150k per person (boo!!!) but ANA round trip is only 75k....for the same flight!!
Since they are Star Alliance partners, can I call United and ask them to lower the miles to match ANA? Or is there a way for me to transfer Chase points to ANA mileage?
And I noticed that you can use Star Alliance points on ANA website but it's economy only and I really want to spoil myself in business class for my birthday LOL
Old May 23, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Jan92
LAX-NRT on business using miles by transferring points from Chase Ultimate. Using their respective websites, United round trip is 150k per person (boo!!!) but ANA round trip is only 75k....for the same flight!!
UA has no fuel surcharges, ana will charge you several hundred dollars on top of the miles.

Since they are Star Alliance partners, can I call United and ask them to lower the miles to match ANA?
why would they? totally different entities.

Or is there a way for me to transfer Chase points to ANA mileage?
none. Membership Rewards points or spg points.

And I noticed that you can use Star Alliance points on ANA website but it's economy only...
what is "Star Alliance points"?

your questions show u havent looked into the details of the two frequent flyer programs.
please google a bit, study the two frequent flyer programs (united and ana), then ask a question.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
UA has no fuel surcharges, ana will charge you several hundred dollars on top of the miles.

Actually, ANA recently reduce their fuel surcharges. From what i searched, United would cost me $91 whereas ANA would cost $85 in taxes and fees. So why would I go with an airline that charges me more miles and more taxes?

why would they? totally different entities.
I'm asking because it's possible to pull up obscure flights on ANA's system that United's wouldn't catch and then call United to book the flight (according to points hacking blogs)

none. Membership Rewards points or spg points.

what is "Star Alliance points"?
Fair enough. I just wanted to look at all possible options
Old May 23, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Long story short just transfer to ANA if you plan on flying ANA.

Until than leave it as is.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:57 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As this question involves comparing two different *A airlines' mileage programs, I am moving this to the Star Alliance forum.

Regards,
armagebedar
ANA forum moderator
Old May 23, 2016, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, that's the sweet spot on the ANA redemption chart . . . a much better deal than the UA redemption. But unfortunately, you can't transfer Ultimate Rewards points to ANA. If you have AMEX Membership Rewards points, those do transfer to ANA.

Your UR points do transfer to Singapore KrisFlyer . . . you might consider flying them LAX-NRT. Total cost will be similar to the UA redemption but it's an aspirational product.

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Long story short just transfer to ANA if you plan on flying ANA.

Until than leave it as is.
Nonsense.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee

Nonsense.
Crap, I blanked out there.

OP if you're transferring UR send it off to KE and use F for 160k miles instead of 150k UA miles on J.

Also 2 stop-overs are allowed on an RT @ 160k with very awesome change flexibility.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

hmm unfortunately I don't have AMEX or SPG card (though I would love one some day).....I'll probably just end up riding economy like a peasant LOL

Thanks for the help guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.