Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance lounge Amsterdam AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance lounge Amsterdam AMS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:01 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So do we know when the lounge will open exactly? "Early 2019" may be anything from January to June. In theory it could be only 2 months away.

Also they must have started construction by now. Has anybody noticed where the lounge will be located? There is very little space available that I would consider suitable for a new, large, lounge within the Shengen Area..
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
There's renovation at the location of Aspire 26 lounge, could that be about to be branded *A?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Have a UA flight layover there on Tuesday. So they just use the Priority Pass Aspire Lounge?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Have a UA flight layover there on Tuesday. So they just use the Priority Pass Aspire Lounge?

Yes, don't expect much.

You can see a review of the Aspire lounge
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Granite64
Yes, don't expect much.
The lounge is quite bad indeed, yesterday at UA check in in AMS even the staff told the person in front me the lounge is terrible..
It won't get better when the *A lounge opens as that lounge will only be for Schengen pax (so not for UA pax).
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:58 pm

It wasnt the best of lounges but it wasnt the worst Ive been in. Trust me there are some really bad lounges in mainland China; much worse. At least they had drinks and some snacks and food items.

In any event its a crowded lounge with a specially partitioned area for SQ passengers which was interesting. I definitely wouldnt show up early to experience this Aspire, but it was better than hanging around in the terminal.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
There's renovation at the location of Aspire 26 lounge, could that be about to be branded *A?
I would really hope not. Also, that would mean that Schiphol would lose its Shengen Priority Pass lounge - as I don't think that a *A branded lounge would allow Priority pass?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:19 am

According to Dutch website Luchtvaartnieuws (https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...-in-maart-open) the Star Alliance Lounge in AMS will open in March 2019. The exact location is still unknown.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is some construction going on in front of the Aspire/Menzies lounge 26.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I would really hope not. Also, that would mean that Schiphol would lose its Shengen Priority Pass lounge - as I don't think that a *A branded lounge would allow Priority pass?
The *A lounges at CDG and EZE (and possibly others) allow Priority Pass passengers (on a space available basis) as does LX in Terminal D of ZRH, so I think there may be a non-zero chance?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:31 am

Yeah its nothing to show up to the Airport early for thats for sure. But its a fine lounge. They also have that reserved area for SQ passengers, which I guess SQ pays a premium for.

Its nothing spectacular but Ive been in much worse lounges. I found my nice little corner with an outlet and had a few snacks and drinks. It was better than waiting in the terminal. Then again, the KLM crown lounges arent so great either, so I guess most of the lounges in AMS all suck.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Read an update that it will open in March and that construction now is going on (article from december).

Does anybody know where and when? Got a flight comming up with *A end of March, and would be nice to visit the new lounge.
Aspire is just fine, but not something to make extra time for.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:12 am

So I just left from the aspire lounge and decided to just bluntly ask them if they know about the new lounge. Turns out that:

- The star alliance lounge will be operated by, and be part of the Aspire lounge. The star alliance part will be a separate section.
- The aspire lounge (and the new Star alliance section) will move up one level.
- The back part (next to the washrooms) of the current lounge will become part of the klm lounge. The current front part may eventually become part of the aspire lounge to increase capacity.
- The construction is currently taking place one level above the existing lounge.
- The new lounge should open sometime in February, before March 1.

So I have mixed feelings. While the lady today was very helpful and talkative, generally, the service in the existing aspire lounge is quite bad. So I don't know how I feel about a Star alliance lounge operated by Aspire crews..
oliver2002, SK2751, KL714 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jan 19, 2019 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this detailed and useful update.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:14 am

The latest news is that they will open March 7th. Not sure what the source of this news article is though:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/star-allian...l-open-march-7

Star Alliance will open its new Amsterdam lounge on March 7, representing a substantial upgrade to the airport’s original Star alliance lounge, not only in capacity – with room for as many as 200 passengers – but in offering large windows with a view across the tarmac.

“The current lounge at Schiphol is encapsulated by walls, so you don't have any windows or access to the outside world” explains Christian Draeger, Vice President for Customer Experience at Star Alliance.

"But with some restructuring of the airport, we had the opportunity to get a space which was really dedicated to being a lounge, with high ceilings and big windows, and a view onto the tarmac where customers have a sense of being at the airport,” Draeger tells Australian Business Traveller.

“This was really important to us, because once we open in March, our customers will have significantly better lounge than today. We're quite excited about that.”

As with other Star Alliance lounges, the new Schiphol den will will reflect its location – “we’re trying to give a sense of Amsterdam, a vibrant and attractive city, and a sense of Holland,” Draeger says – and allows further room for expansion “to increase capacity if we see more growth.”

The Amsterdam lounge will cater for business class travellers and top-tier frequent flyers on the 15 Star Alliance member airlines flying out of Schipol airport’s Schengen zone and be geared more towards flights within Europe.

Reflecting this, Draeger believes that travellers’ stays will be shorter and typically more for business than leisure.

“Hence, the lounge will have a lot more focus on being a comfortable place to work as well as relax. While the lounge will still offer a good degree of interaction in the food and beverage experience, more focus will be placed on a buffet service which is more convenient for guests with less time to spend in the lounge.”
ErnstH and Alexandros Bravos like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.