Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Will there be business class sales - for Canada/USA to Thailand in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

We wish to fly on Star Alliance carriers from Canada (YOW) to Phuket (HKT) in August, in business class.

Would any Star Alliance carriers likely have sales between now and August - based upon past years' history of such sales?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: United Gold

That's a really broad question yet about a specific route and alliance.

I would say that there is a very good chance that in the next 6 months the fares will at some point come down to previous levels. It's even more likely if you widen your departure to other Canadian (and US) cities. One last note that such a sale may be very short in duration.set some alarms and alerts for a few origination and destination points.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
My opinion is that sales will not be significant. Thai withdrew its last US route in 2015, thus making seats to Thailand more competitive. However, being flexible on departure dates and routing will help. I have seen good prices by crossing the Atlantic (especially Turkish Airlines) into Bangkok. You may then take a cheap domestic flight from BKK to HKT.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Fly from YYZ(in Economy) to ARN or CAI and then book Qatar(non *), TK or LX in Business for about $2000CAD. CAI is the cheapest point to fly from especially if you are interested in Business Class travel.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 28, 2016 at 7:06 am
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Fly from YYZ(in Economy) to ARN or CAI and then book Qatar(non *), TK or LX in Business for about $2000CAD. CAI is the cheapest point to fly from especially if you are interested in Business Class travel.

I like to fly business class all the way or at least on flights more than 2 hours long. So the above trans-atlantic routes would not be of interest.

Qatar, would not get me the Air Canada/Aeroplan miles which I need, to help get SE status for next year. LX from ANR or CAI would be ?back-tracking to Zurich? TK would involve some detouring as well, via Istanbul.

I understand that flying the trans-atlantic route would cost more than flying the trans-pacific route - perhaps by a factor of 2!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.