Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Lounge Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints, Aeroplan
SQ Lounge Policy

Please help me and my dad settle this debate.
So my mom and bro were flying to Vancouver via Air Canada and they were denied access to SQ's lounge despite being on business. My dad said that's not right. (SFO)
Of course my dad is *A Gold and flies on Singapore Airlines and he said he was able to use the Thai Airways lounge. I said SQ is pickier.
I'll be flying to Sydney on first class in 3 weeks. Obviously using the UA First Class at SFO. I said that I would be rejected from SQ's lounge since I'm flying United.
Who's right here? The frequent flier or the frequent freeloader?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:28 am

When you fly in J but aren't *G you are limited in which lounges you can visit-usually only those belonging to the carrier you are flying on at the departure airport if they have one or a specific lounge that has been contracted out (which sometimes is another *A carrier, but not always). If the business flight was SFO-VYR in AC J they would (theoretically) have access to the SilverKris lounge at SFO (same as UA F in your case)-it may also depend on the time since the lounge is only open about 7 hours a day for SQ flights.
When you fly as a *G regardless of class you can use any lounge available to *G lounges (which includes most business class lounges). SQ can be a little tricky depending on the lounge, and sometimes you have to push them for you to be able to get in.

In short your father is right.

Here's a convenient tool for you to use to see what lounges you should have access to

Last edited by steveman518; Jun 9, 2014 at 1:34 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:12 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by steveman518
When you fly in J but aren't *G you are limited in which lounges you can visit-usually only those belonging to the carrier you are flying on at the departure airport if they have one or a specific lounge that has been contracted out (which sometimes is another *A carrier, but not always). If the business flight was SFO-VYR in AC J they would (theoretically) have access to the SilverKris lounge at SFO (same as UA F in your case)-it may also depend on the time since the lounge is only open about 7 hours a day for SQ flights.
When you fly as a *G regardless of class you can use any lounge available to *G lounges (which includes most business class lounges). SQ can be a little tricky depending on the lounge, and sometimes you have to push them for you to be able to get in.

In short your father is right.

Here's a convenient tool for you to use to see what lounges you should have access to

That is not quite correct.

Passengers flying on Star Alliance in first class can access any available *A operated first class or business class lounge.

Passengers flying on Star Alliance in business class can access any available *A operated business class lounge.

Passengers with *Gold status flying on Star Alliance can access any available *A operated *Gold lounge (with some exceptions for UA *Gold flying wholly domestic USA travel).

The key points are the lounge operator (contracted lounges are only availabel to eligible passengers of the airlines which have made arrangements with the specific lounge), the designation of the lounge (eg LH HON Circle lounges are not designated as Star Alliance first class lounges), and availability (eg in the right terminal and open at the right time and not overcrowded).

In the case of SFO, the SQ lounge is closed outside the timings of their own flights, and sometimes when open rejects passengers flying other airlines due to capacity constraint.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That is not quite correct.

Passengers flying on Star Alliance in first class can access any available *A operated first class or business class lounge.

Passengers flying on Star Alliance in business class can access any available *A operated business class lounge.

Passengers with *Gold status flying on Star Alliance can access any available *A operated *Gold lounge (with some exceptions for UA *Gold flying wholly domestic USA travel).

The key points are the lounge operator (contracted lounges are only availabel to eligible passengers of the airlines which have made arrangements with the specific lounge), the designation of the lounge (eg LH HON Circle lounges are not designated as Star Alliance first class lounges), and availability (eg in the right terminal and open at the right time and not overcrowded).

In the case of SFO, the SQ lounge is closed outside the timings of their own flights, and sometimes when open rejects passengers flying other airlines due to capacity constraint.
mmm you're right on that-originally I didn't see OP's ex-SFO part and kind of assumed SIN-YVR and then botched up the edit in my failed attempt at transitioning out of the SilverKris vs KrisFlyer It didn't help that I worded everything poorly D:
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
SQ Lounge Policy

"Passengers flying on Star Alliance in first class can access any available *A operated first class or business class lounge."

I do not believe this to be true. Flying out of FRA or MUC in first class UA will not get you into LH FC lounge.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
"Passengers flying on Star Alliance in first class can access any available *A operated first class or business class lounge."

I do not believe this to be true. Flying out of FRA or MUC in first class UA will not get you into LH FC lounge.
Actually, it will. It just will not get you into the FCT.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Actually, it will. It just will not get you into the FCT.
No that is incorrect. The LH FCL's are specifically excluded from *A F access policy:

Except: LH HON/First Class Lounges in FRA/MUC; LX HON/First Class Lounges in ZRH/GVA; OS HON/First Class Lounges in VIE; TG Spa Lounge in BKK

See also the LH access rules here: Lufthansa Lounge Access Rules.

An F BP on UA (or any other non LH carrier) will only get you into the SEN lounge in FRA, MUC, ZRH, GVA, and VIE.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LeviFlight

Yes it will, LH's designated first class lounges are called SEN lounge.

OTOH, LH's HON Circle lounge is not designated first class lounge (but is available to LH and LX first class passengers as well as HON Circle status passengers flying LH/LX/LO/JP/OU/etc).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Mileageplus
One question for clarification on SQ lounge access

I will be in first class on UA from SIN-NRT (*A award).
I have UA 1K *G status.

At SIN (terminal 3) will I be limited to the SAT lounge which is used for UA First/business travelers or can should I be able to access the SQ Lounge?

SQ's website is somewhat silent on the issue of *A access to its lounges. But the Staralliance website leads me to believe I can access the SQ lounges based on my *G status and that I will be in first class on a *A flight the same day.

Does SQ allow *G access to their lounges if traveling on in first class on a *A airline that same day?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1kprem
I will be in first class on UA from SIN-NRT (*A award).
I have UA 1K *G status.

At SIN (terminal 3) will I be limited to the SAT lounge which is used for UA First/business travelers or can should I be able to access the SQ Lounge?

SQ's website is somewhat silent on the issue of *A access to its lounges. But the Staralliance website leads me to believe I can access the SQ lounges based on my *G status and that I will be in first class on a *A flight the same day.

Does SQ allow *G access to their lounges if traveling on in first class on a *A airline that same day?
You don't want access to the SQ *G lounge. You want access to the SKL (SilverKris) lounge. Which UA premium cabin flight will give you. You should have access to the SKL F lounge. You will not have access to the Private Room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.