Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Change Flight Fees on UA with * Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold

I am * Gold with EVA.

I'm having to change an international flight. The international legs are booked on EVA, and it is no issue to change those legs.

My flights from DEN > LAX and then my return leg from SFO > DEN were both booked on United with my EVA * G number.

Do I get any benefits on change fees for this? Or am I just out of luck and forced to go the $200 change fee per leg option? I know that if I were Premier Gold [on UA] I could change for free, but not sure if my affiliate airline * G status gets me anything...

Thank you-
Old May 19, 2014, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not even UA elites get free changes. We pay the change fees like everyone else.

The only exception is same day change and standby. That is only available within 24 hours of departure. It costs $75. There have been reports that UA sometimes does not charge *G's, but that is not an official benefit.

There is a detailed wiki here:

ua-same-day-travel-change-sdc-fees-questions-now-wikipost
Old May 19, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

You are incorrect - UA elites do not get a waiver of change fees on UA. At least not for revenue tickets - no one does. The change fees do go lower on a sliding scale for UA award ticket changes based on UA elite status. That doesn't apply to *G.

Unless you are referring to same-day confirmed changes, which is something you can do starting at 24 hours prior to your flight, and works on any flight within 24 hours of the time you request the change (so the closer you get to departure, the later in the day the options become). Those changes are free for UA gold and above - but only when the same fare class is available on the flight being changed to. It's $75 usually to do this as a non-elite. And while these fees are not supposed to be waived for *G, or at least aren't publicly listed as such, there are reports of *G being able to do this without fee. You can do this online on UAs site when you check in (or even after of you go back to the check in tool) and it will display the options and the fee required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.