Advice on Biz ZRH to BOS

Old May 13, 14, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, *G, FlyingClub
Advice on Biz ZRH to BOS

Folks - I am UA 1K / Star Gold, but unlikely to qualify for anything more than Silver this year due to current job.

I plan to fly to Boston for a combined personal / work trip but am paying out of pocket so not goverened by corp travel rules for my company. I will credit UA if I fly *A, but I am open to trying other airlines etc.

Some options I've found:

(1) Swiss direct (have flown a few times, not bad)

(2) ZRH to FRA or MUC and LH Biz (never flown LH C)

(3) ZRH - IST - BOS on TK (A340 which looks like old recliner seats but have heard service is good?)

(4) Various UA options in BF (ugh) (either to EWR, IAD or maybe ORD before BOS)

(5) Non *A - ZRH to LHR to BOS to fly UC on Virgin Atlantic (have done LHR to SFO on the 747, which was great, but the A340/333 on this route doesn't seem as nice)

Thanks for any advice

-Tbakes
Old May 13, 14, 4:47 am
Original Poster

I should mention - I can also take a hop to another European hub if there are other interesting options (e.g. can fly EasyJet etc)
Old May 13, 14, 5:36 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Advice on Biz ZRH to BOS

I would take the direct flight on Swiss unless the price is outrageous; none of the other airlines merit a connection. Swiss have great flat bed seats with aisle access and a good soft product. With LH you could very likely end up in a dreaded slanty seat and their service in C isn't worth going out of your way for.
Old May 13, 14, 10:31 am

Programs: SPG LTG, DL Plat
Advice on Biz ZRH to BOS

I've not flown Swiss C but I've flown the same seat and LH's new C as well. Even if you get new C on LH, I would prefer the LX seat--I hated LH and found it very uncomfortable for sleeping. That said it did feel pretty spacious (2-2-2 across a 747... Not sure if the Airbii feel as spacious) and I wouldn't have minded it as much for a westbound.

I agree ... Unless LX is much more expensive, I'd do that in a heart beat ... Always a slim chance of an op-up to F .
Old May 13, 14, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Since it is my dime, I decided to look at alternate connections. I can take a train to MXP and take a few other options for about $2400 vs the $5000 from ZRH, so that will easily pay for a night in a hotel and train tix (granted my time ain't free!).

New options include:

(1) Alitalia (MXP - FCO - BOS) on 333 flat bed
Old May 20, 14, 7:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Programs: ACA
Connecting in the US is not really fun since you'll need to clear customs in the US, then go back through security and connect.

Here's an off the wall idea: AC just launched their new 787 on the YYZ-ZRH route next month (I'm not sure when you are travelling). Brand new plane, brand new product, plus connecting from ZRH-BOS via YYZ allows you to skip Canadian immigration, pre-clear US customs at YYZ and arrive BOS as a domestic flight.

Just a thought.
Old May 21, 14, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tbakes View Post
Since it is my dime, I decided to look at alternate connections. I can take a train to MXP and take a few other options for about $2400 vs the $5000 from ZRH, so that will easily pay for a night in a hotel and train tix (granted my time ain't free!).

New options include:

(1) Alitalia (MXP - FCO - BOS) on 333 flat bed
Usually very good service on AZ TATL and the seats are better than, say, LH or TK (similar to LX).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: