Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new mileage program

Old May 6, 14, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I have been a member of United Millage Plus for the past 6 years with 1K status for the past 5 years (I lost it this year by about 20K miles) and I am currently premier gold.

As I moved out of the US to South Africa last year I am able to meet millage levels for status (have 51K now) but I am not able to meet United's new PQD (money spent) levels as most of my flights are on South Africa, Lufthansa, Singapore, or Thai and not United.

I am moving again, this time to the Philippines, and am finally ready to get of the United millage plus program since I do not think I will ever be able to meet their new PQD requirement (way to go United, alienate more customers) meaning I will never have status with them. It seems most of my flights out of Philippines would be on Singapore through Singapore so I was thinking of moving to Kris Flyer but have herd their benefits are not that great. Other option would be Thai Airways.

My questions are;
1) Which would be better Singapore or Thai?
2) Will either accept my current United Status for the rest of the year and give me equivalent status?
3) Will either recognize my current 51K miles with United and give me a jump start on earning status?

I expect I should travel at least another 50K by the end of the year and should have no problem spending another 15 - 20K USD on tickets.

Thanks for the advice
Old May 6, 14, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver

Can't speak to other programs, but can speak to PQD, and that it does not apply to non-US residents. If you are currently living in South Africa, and are re-locating to Philllipines, simply changing your primary address with UA will make those requirements go away. All you'll have to hit are the mileage or segment goals, which it sounds like you will hit already, as well as a minimal requirement of 4 UA segments, which shouldn't be that difficult out of Phillipines, and particularly if you come back to the US once or twice a year.

I myself relocated to BOM at the end of last year, and since most of my flying has been within Asia so far, I have also been flying partners (TK, SQ, etc., as well as some non* carriers). I'll meet the segment requirement through the trip I have planned back to US/Canada in about a month, and end up with at least my current gold for next year, without needing to hit any PQD mark.

Now whether it makes sense, given most of your flying is on other carriers, to have your status on UA vs. another carrier, of course is a separate matter. But PQD shouldn't be that factor.

As for status matching, * carriers are not supposed to poach elites from other * programs, so doubtful this will happen. Rumor has it that TK sometimes does, but haven't heard of this with most other * carriers. If you want to take advantage of your current gold benefits while accruing to a different program, your best bet is probably to use your UA number when booking, then changing to your other program number at the gate just before boarding.
Old May 6, 14, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, ebjers!

I highly recommend the sticky at the top of the forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
Old May 7, 14, 2:52 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
No PQD requirement living outside of the US

Originally Posted by ebjers View Post
I have been a member of United Millage Plus for the past 6 years with 1K status for the past 5 years (I lost it this year by about 20K miles) and I am currently premier gold.

As I moved out of the US to South Africa last year I am able to meet millage levels for status (have 51K now) but I am not able to meet United's new PQD (money spent) levels as most of my flights are on South Africa, Lufthansa, Singapore, or Thai and not United.

I am moving again, this time to the Philippines, and am finally ready to get of the United millage plus program since I do not think I will ever be able to meet their new PQD requirement (way to go United, alienate more customers) meaning I will never have status with them. It seems most of my flights out of Philippines would be on Singapore through Singapore so I was thinking of moving to Kris Flyer but have herd their benefits are not that great. Other option would be Thai Airways.

My questions are;
2) Will either accept my current United Status for the rest of the year and give me equivalent status?
3) Will either recognize my current 51K miles with United and give me a jump start on earning status?

I expect I should travel at least another 50K by the end of the year and should have no problem spending another 15 - 20K USD on tickets.

Thanks for the advice
Hello ebjers, I am in the same boat as you, having moved from Canada to Germany two years ago.

My current job mainly takes me to Asia/OZ & NZ and I am still collecting to UA MP, no PQD requirement, as I am living outside of the US.
I fly mainly SQ to South East Asia and OZ & NZ, when flying to China & Japan, I use LH.
I have also contemplated switching to SQ Krisflyer program, but haven't made the move. Once I have reached 1K this year, I might put the rest of my miles towards Krisflyer this year.

My advice, just collect to MP to make 1K this year, to have status for 2015, try out Krisflyer or Thai's FFP in 2015 and see what you like better.
Old May 7, 14, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the advice, particularly the way out of PQD requirements.

I just changed my primary address to my SA address and sure enough the PQD requirement went away. Also not sure how but I have 14 qualifying segments already even though the only UA tickets/ planes I have been on since May of last year were purchased using miles.

UA tickets are so much more expensive than others, for example my flight back from US

UA ticket from IAD -> FRA -> JHB 1 way was close to 4K using Lufthansa planes
Same flight path on Lufthansa was 650

I hate United as an airline but their millage redemption is not bad so I may stick with them if I can.

Last edited by ebjers; May 7, 14 at 4:45 am
Old May 7, 14, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My questions are;
1) Neither, if you don't fly ONLY paid F or paid C, forget about it, neither SQ or TG care about those only fly cattle class.

2) Nope, the premium carriers don't accept status match at all.

3) Nope, each airline has its own program, not sure why you think your UA PQM will automatically become another airline's PQM when you change to another program ? It doesn't make any sense at all. You start from scratch.
Old May 8, 14, 9:02 am

Programs: 1865 Voyager, GHA Black, *G, KFEG, OWR, MPCS.

My questions are;

Thanks for the advice
Hi ebjers,
1) I use both airlines, finds SQ is much better option mainly because Changi airport as transit hub and easy to kill time. Survanarbumi airport will makes minutes like hours. SQ's young aircraft beat TG for regional legs even long haul.

2) I think maybe SQ can accept status match. Just try, no harm. I just got my status match SQ (KFEG) to CX (MPCS) today. Quite a happy guy now. MPCS entitle me to use their lounge in HKG, so consider nothing to lose and same like KFEG.

3) SQ may take consideration and granted you KFES. Just email them.^
Old May 9, 14, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Thanks guys for the advice, particularly the way out of PQD requirements.

I just changed my primary address to my SA address and sure enough the PQD requirement went away. Also not sure how but I have 14 qualifying segments already even though the only UA tickets/ planes I have been on since May of last year were purchased using miles.

UA tickets are so much more expensive than others, for example my flight back from US

UA ticket from IAD -> FRA -> JHB 1 way was close to 4K using Lufthansa planes
Same flight path on Lufthansa was 650

I hate United as an airline but their millage redemption is not bad so I may stick with them if I can.
Qualifying segments that you're seeing are all of the flights that you've flown this year on any carrier that get segment credit (PQS) as well as PQM. That is not about the 4 segment requirement to maintain status with UA. Click My Account Details and you'll see it, it's not on the homepage version. Should look something like this:

YTD Premier qualifying miles: XX,XXX
YTD Premier qualifying segments: X
4 flight segment minimum: X of 4
Lifetime flight miles: X,XXX,XXX

Regional Premier Upgrades: X
Global Premier Upgrades: X

Honestly unless you cant' get 4 UA metal flights in the year, I'd stick with Mileage Plus. It depends on what you want out of the program, but there really isn't a significantly better program out there in *A for redemption. Especially as others charge fuel surcharges (not a small amount either) and the majority of Asia based programs charge a pretty hefty number of miles to redeem as well (NH may be the exception depending on your patterns).

If you can hit top tier in SQ or NH then maybe there are some perks that are worth it but you'll likely cringe when you try to redeem for anything.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: