Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Business vs United First for international?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Business vs United First for international?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by anchor79
how's UA's first vs LH's 748 business? which is better?
Numerous posts in FT reveal that UA F > LH C.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The new LH C makes it a tighter competition. I think that UA F is better but probably not worth the up-charge to get it, assuming the award costs more that way.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyer121
Just flew LX Zurich-MIA in Business Class. One of the best flights I have ever had. Service, food, and seats all great.
LX is Swiss - not Lufthanasa.

UA GF over LH C!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Appreciate the opinions of UA F vs LH C. I was tempted to go that route if we had to, thinking UA F was really bad (since it's a US carrier in general, however I've never flown UA F before).

Anyway, I'm trying to get us on LH F for FRA-ORD (or really FRA-Anything) in a few weeks. Right now we're on UA906, FRA-ORD F 777-200. Having flown LH F and visiting the LH First Class Terminal myself a few months ago, I'd like to get us on LH F so the wife can enjoy all of that, but it may not work out due to UA lag of access to LH F of course. I'm trying to figure out just how bad United F on 777-200 will be compared to LH F. Any insight?

Also, from what I've read so far United is retrofitting these? I cannot seem to find a retrofit list for United 772's. Anyone able to help?

Lastly, this flight was originally on 747, but switched to 772. Is this a good thing?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Anyway, I'm trying to get us on LH F for FRA-ORD (or really FRA-Anything) in a few weeks.
Watch out here as the LH pilots are currently on strike. You might be ok in a few weeks, but I myself would not want to place a bet on european labor peace: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...l#post23700746

Other than the hard product (which is debatable) the LH F experience >> UA F which is important on a westbound TATL where you will likely be awake for most of the flight.

SunLover
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by SunLover
Watch out here as the LH pilots are currently on strike. You might be ok in a few weeks, but I myself would not want to place a bet on european labor peace: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...l#post23700746

Other than the hard product (which is debatable) the LH F experience >> UA F which is important on a westbound TATL where you will likely be awake for most of the flight.

SunLover
Ahhh... interesting about the strike. My parents are heading home from a RTW ticket through FRA on Nov 6th on LH. Hope that's resolved by then. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe that will keep people from booking LH temporarily and leave more seats open?!? (wishful thinking)

Yes, from what I'm seeing in pictures the hard product is very comparable on 747-800. I do think that older 747 has an edge with the separate bed (oooohhh that was amazing). I actually got about 4 hours of sleep on the flight just because I could do so in a separate bed, and all the drinking at the FCT and premium scotches on the flight wore me out (not to mention the flights just getting to FRA! KWL-HKG-BKK-MXP-FRA!). The FCT has to be the best in the world. Just amazing. I spent 7 hours there. So yes, that's the main reason for trying to switch. On this trip we'll "only" be flying CNX-BKK-CDG-FRA to get there, so maybe a little less tired to enjoy the service on an LH F flight more. FRA-JFK 5:10PM flight after 10:10AM FRA arrival would be ideal for FCT enjoyment again .
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by glocklt4
I'm trying to figure out just how bad United F on 777-200 will be compared to LH F. Any insight?
If you keep that negative attitude, chances are you'll have an unhappy flight.

Also, from what I've read so far United is retrofitting these? I cannot seem to find a retrofit list for United 772's. Anyone able to help?
I don't know what you've been reading, but it must be many years out of date. The sUA 772s were all updated to the GlobalFirst product several years ago. The hard product is nice. Better than LH old F, not as classy as new F, but still very comfortable and spacious.

Lastly, this flight was originally on 747, but switched to 772. Is this a good thing?
In F, not really a material difference.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you keep that negative attitude, chances are you'll have an unhappy flight.

I don't know what you've been reading, but it must be many years out of date. The sUA 772s were all updated to the GlobalFirst product several years ago. The hard product is nice. Better than LH old F, not as classy as new F, but still very comfortable and spacious.

In F, not really a material difference.
Haha, not purposefully trying to have a negative attitude, I just know it won't be LH F but I'm working hard to try and get switched for the wife.

I think you're right about 772 upgrades. It was a couple years old.

Thanks for the comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.