FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Lufthansa Business vs United First for international? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1530134-lufthansa-business-vs-united-first-international.html)

satori101 Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Lufthansa Business vs United First for international?

I want to burn my United miles before the devaluation in February for a trip to Europe this summer. If you had to choose between flying first class on United vs. business on Lufthansa, which would you choose?

IluvSQ Dec 11, 2013 5:31 pm

F on United for seat.
Seat is still most important aspect for long haul flights.

MightyTravels Dec 11, 2013 5:59 pm

On a night flight is even go business on united. For day flight use lufthansa.

smilee Dec 11, 2013 9:15 pm

I must have flown a different Lufthansa then everyone else. I would say Lufthansa business class is one of the worst business class products from NA to Europe. In my limited experience with star I would choose US AC Swiss SQ UA then LH - (SQ only low on list because lack of routes)

747FC Dec 11, 2013 9:22 pm

UA F. No comparison.

flyer121 Dec 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Just flew LX Zurich-MIA in Business Class. One of the best flights I have ever had. Service, food, and seats all great.

1kBill Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm

F (even UA F) > C.

UA F: Great seat, so-so food, biz wines, great IFE; very good to excellent crews (IME.) IFL lounge (if available) are good, much better than C lounges.

LH C: good seat if 747-8, otherwise crap slanted seat, so best to avoid; okay food and wines, more limited IFE. Crews good, but more formal than UA.

Now if you can snag LH F, take it! Very good seats, great food, drink and crews. LH F terminal is fantastic.

sriegert Dec 12, 2013 12:44 am

UA F.

LH C has horrendous food IMO & terrible seat

yoyo Dec 19, 2013 3:03 am

Originally Posted by sriegert (Post 21951680)
UA F.

LH C has horrendous food IMO & terrible seat

Are LH C seats on A380 also that bad?

kanor Dec 19, 2013 5:56 am

relevant thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...outes-etc.html

sbm12 Dec 19, 2013 7:07 am

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 21992734)

"Terrible" is a stretch but the A380 was introduced with the angled-flat seats and still has them today. Some A330s (mostly based in MUC) are now flying with the new full-flat C but not many. And the 340s/744s are all the old version.

I'd definitely take UA F over LH C assuming an unlimited supply of miles. I'm not sure I'd care as much west-bound and might save a few points for the next trip.

1kBill Dec 19, 2013 8:39 am

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 21992734)

For sleeping, compared to OAL full flat seats (as in horizontal), yes, they are that bad. I have absolutely no idea why LH would invest so much in a such an expensive new aircraft and the fill it with an old C product that was poor even when it was first introduced.

For lounging or short naps on a day flight, one can make do.

Still far better than Y, though.

satori101 Dec 19, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks everyone for the advice! I've gone ahead and booked United F. This will be my first long-haul flight in F so I am really excited about this!

Kacee Dec 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Enjoy! UA Global First is a very comfortable seat, and you will have much more space and privacy than you would in LH business (old or new).

somedude3210 Dec 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Even though you've already booked, just want to echo sentiments about the LH C seat. The very weak hard product kills it for me. I just could not get comfortable enough for a proper rest on the slanted seats.