Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance and Australia - best way to use my miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Headed to SYD next month, from CA, SAN or LAX. I have 103k miles on UA and 191k on usair. The 103k/UA miles expire end of this month.

Recommendations?

Ideally I'd fly business class on a non-US airline but not finding that option on star alliance. Plus It's looking like it's 150k for standard business class, so I'm 50k short.

Am I missing something or should I resort to fly coach with the UA/103k miles, and use the usair for return trip? Hopefully you'all see something I am missing.

Thank You
Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I've had success getting there through bkk or sin on saver awards. You just have to search by segments until it lines up.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
routing through ICN on Asiana or PEK/PVG on Air China is easiest, but I would do LAX/SFO/YVR-AKL-SYD if you are going coach--Air New Zealand is my favorite behind the curtain.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Talking

Originally Posted by wanderlusts
Headed to SYD next month, from CA, SAN or LAX. I have 103k miles on UA and 191k on usair. The 103k/UA miles expire end of this month.

Recommendations?

Ideally I'd fly business class on a non-US airline but not finding that option on star alliance. Plus It's looking like it's 150k for standard business class, so I'm 50k short.

Am I missing something or should I resort to fly coach with the UA/103k miles, and use the usair for return trip? Hopefully you'all see something I am missing.

Thank You
They are right the best route is BKK , SIN , ICN or PEK with 100 K you can find easy a C award and even an F award one way use the other miles for the return
SIN is the best option because of Singapore Airlines the problem is getting the SIA segments to workout. BKK is great option too and TG has space most of the time in their flight to SYD in F and C. The last resort would CA via PEK which has a good service better then UAL direct to SYD.
I am doing a trip there at the end of the year with OZ LAX-ICN F TG ICN-BKK C and TG BKK-SYD in F for 80K one way the thing is to find the space
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
It's also worth noting that any minor activity on your UA account (crediting an MP dining transaction, donating 1000 miles, etc.) will extend your expiration date another 18 months. So, there is no need to take a crummy deal to use the UA miles now. There are threads devoted to doing this.

That said, if you are able to find the space, going on any of the suggested itineraries in premium cabins is a pretty good use of miles.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K

+1 for NZ plus you can stop over in AKL
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
If you are looking for C, avoid OZ and TG.

OZ only use angle seat to SYD from ICN, and TG only has angle seat on all their planes except 380 and 2 class 77W.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDProf
It's also worth noting that any minor activity on your UA account (crediting an MP dining transaction, donating 1000 miles, etc.) will extend your expiration date another 18 months. So, there is no need to take a crummy deal to use the UA miles now. There are threads devoted to doing this.
Thanks. Had forgotten about that. Just donated 1k miles to a great cause. Few logistical things came up, going to sort out this week. On a fairly restricted diet so thinking less time in airports the better.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Talking update

update on my flight. Found a friend with a boat load of AA miles, was able to book Qantas direct LAX-SYD, albeit coach. For the return, ~4 months out, took a few phone calls but was able to upgrade to business class SYD-MLB-LAX. Hoping a future phone call to AA Gold will land me in biz class for the outbound as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.