Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

BKK Lounge access on united award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt

Hi there,

Does anyone know which lounge I can get into if I take this award flight from United on First Class? Thanks!

Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Well, your connection in BKK is 16 hours, so they won't check baggage on to your destination, BKK will be your stop. You will not be able to use a lounge when you arrive in BKK. When you depart, you are leaving on an LH flight. You may have use of Thai's FC lounge, but not the SPA.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: UA, Hilton
In other words, if you chose TG flights for BKK to KUL, you'd be able to use
http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-serv...orchid-spa.htm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:35 pm

The Op will need to clear immigration and customs in BKK. He will then need to hang out in the main terminal, with his luggage, until the ticket counters open for check-in at around 4:30 a.m. Since the club is after security he will need to again hang out after he clears security and then he can enter the Thai Lounge at 5:30 a.m., when it opens. Best bet - get a room!

We have a 7 hour layover in BKK in 2 days (btw the hours of midnight & 7 a.m.) and speaking from experience, "Hanging Out" at any airport in the wee hours, and NOT in a lounge for more than a few hours ain't fun!

Last edited by LilAbner; Jun 12, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes absolutely, take a taxi into Bangkok for the night. Some wonderful hotels for relatively little money.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes absolutely, take a taxi into Bangkok for the night. Some wonderful hotels for relatively little money.
yeah absolutely.. its cheap and lots of fun things to do. Stop by for a 2 hour massage for like $15.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Well, your connection in BKK is 16 hours, so they won't check baggage on to your destination, BKK will be your stop.
I had a 6 am to 10 pm (16 hour connection) in BKK this year and my
bags checked through. It was ZRH-BKK-CMB
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sosafan
I had a 6 am to 10 pm (16 hour connection) in BKK this year and my
bags checked through. It was ZRH-BKK-CMB
Well, once you arrive, lounges close overnight. You would need to have in hand, an onward boarding pass to "stay planeside", but WHY? You can't get into any lounge until early the next morning and there are world class hotels for cheap in bangkok. And then there are inexpensive, clean hotels in bangkok. not to mention cheap cab rides, great food, massages, etc.

Your choice.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
1. You CAN check your bag directly to KUL. A 16-hour cxn is not unusual for BKK.

2. You DON'T need to clear customs and immigration, NOR claim your bag, if you decide to remain airside. BKK is open 24H. Even during the wee hours you would be surprised at how much activity is going on inside the terminal. Some stores and restaurants are open (IIRC).

3. You can use Royal First, Royal Silk, and Royal Orchid lounges, but not Royal Orchid SPA. There is a gap of about 3 hours between 2-5am when the lounges are closed. However, there is a 24H fee-based lounge (IIRC), or two.

4. I'm not sure if I would go into BKK on a 16 hour cxn, but that's just me. There's too much to do in town, and I wouldn't want to return to the airport!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:12 pm

Sinoflyer is correct on all points, some of the other posts are incorrect.

At that time it is relatively quick (30 min) and cheap (around 15 US$) to take a taxi to town. Going back in the afternoon also does not take much longer. This would give you half a day of sightseeing.

There are also several hotels very close to the airport, some with shuttle service (the Novotel is the best known, a bit pricey but convenient).

Btw: It is correct that you don't get the SPA in BKK when flying LH F, but changing to TG would not help since they don't offer F to KUL.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Yes, Sinoflyer is indeed correct. I once arrived close to midnight and then needed to connect to Druk Air at like 6 or 7 am. The problem was that I needed to wait for their transfer desk to open. So I hung out in a pay lounge (they take Priority Pass) and then around 4 am I headed to the Air France lounge.

I would definitely grab a hotel for this itin. There is an airside hotel that seems crappy and expensive for what it is. There is also a Novotel at the terminal. It's decent; stayed there once.

But I would head downtown. The cab ride will be fast at night and cheap.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Well, once you arrive, lounges close overnight. You would need to have in hand, an onward boarding pass to "stay planeside", but WHY? You can't get into any lounge until early the next morning and there are world class hotels for cheap in bangkok. And then there are inexpensive, clean hotels in bangkok. not to mention cheap cab rides, great food, massages, etc.

Your choice.
Nearly everything you said here is incorrect about BKK. You don't need an onward boarding pass at BKK. Just like SIN it's a 24 hour airport with 24 hr lounges and security is at the gates so there is no segmentation of arriving passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.