Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best J or F option NYC to HKG?

Old Jun 17, 13, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.

I love planning trips but would love some advice from those that have traveled on one or more of these flight!

Here are the options I can come up with that fit my dates and which have availability. Any suggestions?

EVA NYC-TPE (2 hour layover), Thai TPE to HKG. All in business. Total travel time seems to be about 19 hours.

Asiana NYC-ICN (3:30 layover), Asiana ICN to HKG. All in business. 21:30 hours travel time.

United NYC-LAX (2:15 layover), Asiana LAX to ICN (1:30 layover), Asiana ICN to HKG. Transpacific on Asiana First Class Suite. 26 hours travel time.

The difference in time would cut into sightseeing in HKG (my ultimate destination is Bali a 2 days after I arrive in HKG). I could get there early in the morning with the EVA flight and have most of the afternoon and evening in HKG to sightsee as opposed to the Asiana First class which would get me there that night. I don't know that there is a ton to see in Hong Kong that would interest me and loved my first and only international (non US airline) first class experience so I'm leaning towards first class, is it worth the extra 7 hours of travel time and risk that the extra leg causes issues/delays?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 17, 13, 1:18 pm

I'm Taiwanese so I recommend EVA (as they join *A today/tomorrow 6/18)

JFK-TPE, then BR TPE-HKG should be the quickest way (and probably cheapest too)
plus EVA leaves JFK at wee hours so you don't have to take a day off

JFK-TPE has new Royal Laurel J class (reverse fishbone, quite nice)

TG TPE-HKG seems to be pretty bad and empty on A330
Old Jun 17, 13, 4:21 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
saranyc I assume you are flying this trip on miles, not playing 'the long buck' correct? If you are paying for this trip SQ is really the only way to go! You can go EWR-SFO-HKG OR EWR-SIN-HKG. If you are looking for the best experience in the *A that is it!

Now if you are looking to maximize miles to HKG/ DSP I would definitely look at going VIA FRA/ MUC on LH. The LH F product (and new C product) is well document as great. One New Years my wife and I flew HKG-FRA-USA in F it was fantastic. You could also go via ZRH in LX C which is wonderful!

Hong Kong has a lot to offer, and 1,000,000 things you will want to see. The airport is about an hour from Central/ Kowloon. The train ($100HKG RT) is the best way to get into Central, and drops you right in the heart of the city - easy access to everything. The bus is cheaper, but slower. I wouldn't suggest trying to get into Hong Kong with anything less than 6 or 7 hours layover (yes there is plenty to see at night).

Good luck on your trip, have fun!
Old Jun 17, 13, 9:24 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
I do think BR is your best choice given your needs. (but then I am Taiwanese too so I am biased )

I heard OZ has great service but I haven't tried it so I can't comment on that, but I think EVA is not much worse even if not as good. The only benefits of flying OZ I can think of is NYC-ICN is shorter so you break your ultralong trip to two relatively more equalized segments in terms of travel time. But then again if you are flying Business then I guess no big difference there really.

Just a side note, unless you are super energized traveller, or you pre-fix your jetlag, most likely you will definitely feel awfully sleepy during the day in Hong Kong, especially in the afternoon. This could be a bad thing if you are travelling with somebody else because it easily leads to arguments and quarrels under hot summer day in Hong Kong.
Old Jun 18, 13, 3:38 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
How about EWR-HKG direct in UA J? Convenient time wise, and a competitive International Business product.

OZ F from JFK-ICN would also be something to strongly consider if you want all the bells and whistles.

SunLover
Old Jun 18, 13, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Hi, yes OZ F would be my first choice but it's not available on my day of travel... only j (first world problems? haha). UA is also unavailable at this time but I would definitely consider it since it's a direct flight. The only flights that seem to work are the ones I mentioned above.

Yes, this trip will be booked on miles (either 90k or 120k US Airway miles to fly NYC to HKG to Europe to NYC). SQ doesn't even have a business class option available as it stands right now (at least not that I can see...) Seems like BR is the best bet at this point. I can't book the trip for another week or so, perhaps something will change by then.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Jun 18, 13, 11:10 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by saranyc View Post
Hi, yes OZ F would be my first choice but it's not available on my day of travel... only j (first world problems? haha). UA is also unavailable at this time but I would definitely consider it since it's a direct flight. The only flights that seem to work are the ones I mentioned above.

Yes, this trip will be booked on miles (either 90k or 120k US Airway miles to fly NYC to HKG to Europe to NYC). SQ doesn't even have a business class option available as it stands right now (at least not that I can see...) Seems like BR is the best bet at this point. I can't book the trip for another week or so, perhaps something will change by then.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I don't know about US, but it looks like BR awards are bookable on UA but you have to call in. You can research award availability using the ANA parter search.
Old Jun 18, 13, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
I don't know about US, but it looks like BR awards are bookable on UA but you have to call in. You can research award availability using the ANA parter search.
Good question. I asked in the main EVA thread. If it's not bookable with US Airway miles when I go to book the trip next week I may have to go with Asiana...
Old Jun 18, 13, 11:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Good question. I asked in the main EVA thread. If it's not bookable with US Airway miles when I go to book the trip next week I may have to go with Asiana...
I hope it works out for you. I've researched (not flown) the new Royal Laurel J class on BR and it looks like a really great seat. Dimension-wise it looks comparable to the UA Global First seat.
Old Jun 18, 13, 11:53 am

In this other EVA thread someone called US Airways to book EVA already yesterday, so you should try that first

It's also bookable on Aeroplan, ANA, Lifemiles, now..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: