Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need a Star Alliance CC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Need a Star Alliance CC

im a member of dividend miles and been with US air since like 2002 but since they will become part of oneword and my miles no longer be able to work on star alliance airlines im looking for a new CC for star alliance.
i received offer in a mail from miles &more and i was thinking of it would be better deal to earn miles then United CC .
current offer with miles and more is 50K miles. but after the promotion i was wondering if in a long run miles&more will be better off then united.
or maybe there is a better CC to earn Star Alliance miles.
i usually fly Lufthansa to Europe and use many star alliance airlines.

any help and advice is appreciated.

thank you
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
IF you fly fairly frequently but have not made Gold or better, the United Club card is a good choice for a few of the following:

1. No forex fees
2. Lounge access : United and *A when abroad
3. You will board in Group 2 or 3 I think
4. 2 free checked bags
5. Hyatt Platinum status

If you are Gold already, consider the Explorer card. But lounge access is great from the Club card if you like it ( which I do).
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nosferatu2xlc
im a member of dividend miles and been with US air since like 2002 but since they will become part of oneword and my miles no longer be able to work on star alliance airlines im looking for a new CC for star alliance.
i received offer in a mail from miles &more and i was thinking of it would be better deal to earn miles then United CC .
current offer with miles and more is 50K miles. but after the promotion i was wondering if in a long run miles&more will be better off then united.
or maybe there is a better CC to earn Star Alliance miles.
i usually fly Lufthansa to Europe and use many star alliance airlines.

any help and advice is appreciated.

thank you
United miles are much more valuable than LH miles. Just go to LH's web site and check their award redemption rates.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

united doesn't offer any good deal as of right now.
i take it its easier to work with united miles rather then LH especially within continental USA .
LH economy to Europe is 50K and united is about the same.
i do not have any status.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
united doesn't offer any good deal as of right now.
i take it its easier to work with united miles rather then LH especially within continental USA .
LH economy to Europe is 50K and united is about the same.
i do not have any status.
I believe LH will hit you with significant surcharges ($500-1000) on an international award redemption.

The current offer on the UA Explorer Card is 30,000 miles. You also get other perks, including a free checked bag, priority access, and 2 United Club passes. That to me is a much better value on the whole than 50,000 M&M points.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

the only reason in after LH card is bc 0%apr on balance transfer and that is one of the reasons i need to get a CC also. not really after the perks . i only redeem my miles for international flights. or an upgrade. I have a Bank of America CC for US air. Will i be able to get a Barkley Master card from US air and earn 40K miles ? or will i be not able to get that deal since i have a bank of America Us air credit card?

also are there any other good cards right now to apply and get some miles and a 0 apr on balance transfer ?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:49 pm

the only reason in after LH card is bc 0%apr on balance transfer and that is one of the reasons i need to get a CC also. not really after the perks . i only redeem my miles for international flights. or an upgrade. I have a Bank of America CC for US air. Will i be able to get a Barkley Master card from US air and earn 40K miles ? or will i be not able to get that deal since i have a bank of America Us air credit card?

also are there any other good cards right now to apply and get some miles and a 0 apr on balance transfer ?
Most people would say that applying for a new card so you can carry a larger balance is a very bad idea. On the other hand, the surcharges you will have to pay for an international award on LH will help you meet the M&M card's $5,000 minimum spend. Good luck with that.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

i will pass on LH.
in trying to see if i can still get the 55K with united, or i will go with US air master card 40K.
will having Bank of America visa for US air effect the deal on US master card ? they are two different cards so i take it there wont be an issue getting the 40K bonus miles.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
i will pass on LH.
in trying to see if i can still get the 55K with united, or i will go with US air master card 40K.
will having Bank of America visa for US air effect the deal on US master card ? they are two different cards so i take it there wont be an issue getting the 40K bonus miles.
People are still getting the 55K ... follow post #1654 in the following thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nt-credit.html

If you do a fairly high CC spend annually, I would really recommend the UA Club card (1.5 miles per $). Plus all the benefits outlined by ekwang.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 4:29 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
i will pass on LH.
You do realize that US will leave Star Alliance when the merger with American takes place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.