Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Avoid through checking of bags on Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone:

I have a BOG-MAD(AVIANCA)-CAI(EGYPTAIR)-JNB(EGYPTAIR)-CPT(SOUTH AFRICAN) flight scheduled for December and since the layover in Madrid is 8 hours long I was thinking of requesting the bags only be checked through the first leg, then rechecking them for the Egyptair flights and then again on South African. Does anyone know if they have to check my bag through my destination in BOG or can I request it be done separately per leg?

Also, has anybody through checked their bags on these long-layover-4 leg trips and received it successfully at their destination?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 29, 2013, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Shouldn't be a problem with the 8 hour layover.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
The issue you may encounter is if you have a long delay and you don't have time to claim them and recheck, or your bags misconnect, they may wind up in MAD with no obligation by any airline to send them on to your final destination.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: UX FB Gold, TK*G
it's possible, but, Do you have EU passport or schengen visa?.

In Madrid to claim baggage you will go though passport control, exit landside and re check your baggage, again though security and passport control to leave schengen area.

Take note that in MAD AV is arriving to T4S and MS from T1. There's bus transfer service between these terminals, but it not run so frequently, I think that about every half hour or more...

if you have EU passport, I recommend you that only checkin to MAD, in the past I had several issues with baggage connecting from T4 to T1/2/3 because the baggage system in T4-T4S are not connected to the T1-2-3 and handling company must do manually.

Also it's more convenient, and faster, do the transfer with your baggage yourself landside, then, you must go with automatic train from T4S to T4, go through security there and take the transfer bus landside, it runs every 5minutes. Once in the T1 through security and passport control again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.