Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Baggage Rules with different (allied) airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest

Beautiful people,

I'm moving to Sydney in a few months, and would like to bring my bicycle.

As I will attempt to build points on this trip, I have chosen SQ as my carrier (W flights found through ITA). SQ is horrible with baggage (and expensive!), a significant obstacle. My bicycle is a heavy touring bike.

Enter Lufthansa, that only charge €100 for an intercontinental flight.

My questions are these:

1. If I make my first leg (OSL-CPH/FRA) Lufthansa - not a SQ-driven codeshare - will SQ be obliged to carry my bicycle onward once it is checked (as they're both *A)?

2. Can I book a ticket like this (see image in post below) through an agent and get everything interlined to SYD, or is it impossible to book a non-codeshare ticket with interlining?

In short: OSL-SYD with one piece of luggage and a bicycle (15-20kg depending on how it is packed), with the intention of earning *A points. What are my options?

Last edited by flippant; Feb 2, 2013 at 1:49 am
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:18 am
Original Poster

I was thinking something like this.

Would that effectively get me all the way (not back) to SYD using LH's baggage policies?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

I took LH and SQ to Sydney over Christmas with heavy luggage. The check in LH agent had a sheet of paper with the SQ luggage allowance.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coplatflyer
I took LH and SQ to Sydney over Christmas with heavy luggage. The check in LH agent had a sheet of paper with the SQ luggage allowance.
And the LH flight wasn't a codeshare? Hmm..
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:57 am
Original Poster

The Star Alliance Employees website states that both LH and SQ regard bicycles as "Interlineable".

LH wants €100 for an intercontinental flight, while SQ wants $360 (provided the bike is under 15kg).

If I book the ticket(s) above under one PNR with a travel agent, will LH or SQ become the plating carrier? Arguments could be made that LH is the first international leg and as such should become the plating carrier, but (unfortunately) as the majority of the ticket, the same could be said for SQ.

Is the plating carrier in any way at the discretion of the travel agent?

"In most cases, if you select multiple carriers for your itinerary, the applicable fees and baggage policies for the entire trip will be those of the ticketing carrier. However, in a limited number of multiple carrier itineraries, different policies could apply on your outbound and return flights." - Tripadvisor

Last edited by flippant; Feb 2, 2013 at 6:12 am
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

LH flight not code share.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
IMHO, "most significant carrier rule" will apply and in your case it is clearly SQ. Do a search in Google or here on FT for thorough explanation and discussion of this rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.