Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Does GIG (Rio de Janeiro) have *A lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I searched on *A website, it said that I was not eligible. When searching in Business class, it listed Varig as a contract lounge.

Does GIG have *A G lounge?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:14 pm

Thumbs up Yes

The last time I was there, the international terminal had two lounges: a *A Gold lounge operated by TAM and a business-lounge operated by a contract company and used by UA (and some other airlines). Both lounges are air-side and down a set of stairs very close to the gate that UA uses.

If you're a *A and flying C/J on UA then you'll be able to use either/both lounges.

I have no idea as to what might be available on the domestic side of the airport.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I am *G flying in Y. Also, all the international departures were moved to terminal 2 in Dec 2012. So does Terminal 2 has any *A lounge?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

Not all international departures were to be moved to T2 in December, but, in the end, no relocation took place last month. Everything was delayed at the request of the airlines.

TAM was outbidden for the space of its lounge and had to close it. The new tenant (a contract lounge) hasn't opened yet.

There is no Star lounge left at GIG.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by C010T3
Not all international departures were to be moved to T2 in December, but, in the end, no relocation took place last month. Everything was delayed at the request of the airlines.

TAM was outbidden for the space of its lounge and had to close it. The new tenant (a contract lounge) hasn't opened yet.

There is no Star lounge left at GIG.
OK, understand there is no "Star" lounge but does UA & LH still have use of a lounge for Premium passengers - like the old Varig lounge?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
OK, understand there is no "Star" lounge but does UA & LH still have use of a lounge for Premium passengers - like the old Varig lounge?
Yes, all airlines at GIG use contract lounges for their premium passengers if they don't have their own.
At T2, all airlines currently use the old VARIG lounge, which is now operated by Gol as Smiles Lounge, but is not of use to Gol's frequent flyers, since they operate out of T1.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by C010T3
Yes, all airlines at GIG use contract lounges for their premium passengers if they don't have their own.
At T2, all airlines currently use the old VARIG lounge, which is now operated by Gol as Smiles Lounge, but is not of use to Gol's frequent flyers, since they operate out of T1.
Right, that's the lounge they have used forever. What about T-1 though? I when we depart its on LH & I'm pretty sure it's. out of T-1 (but I could be wrong)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Right, that's the lounge they have used forever. What about T-1 though? I when we depart its on LH & I'm pretty sure it's. out of T-1 (but I could be wrong)
No, LH operates out of T2.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:40 pm

AA Lounge Rio De Janeiro Airport

27th Feb 2013

In the AA Lounge at GIG.

Meal selection - 1 (Only Soup & weird pastries)
Snacks - 1
Drinks - 4
Layout - 5
Comfort - 4
Internet - 8
Toilets - 7 (Gents)

When will someone from AA take a look at how Emirates treat there passengers?

As I waited to enter the lounge there was a sign saying "NO INTERNET TODAY" luckily this did not apply to the AA Lounge.

Got a 13 hour layover at JFK to look forward to any suggestions on an airport Hotel?

Flying in Business seat 4H

XXX UPDATE XXX

LOUNGE IS WAY TOO SMALL

People are sat on the floor and standing around, there is not enough seating.

Scores above are out of 10.

Last edited by no7agency; Feb 27, 2013 at 4:41 pm Reason: update
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:53 pm

AA's current lounge at GIG is VARIG's old First Class Lounge. It is part of the Smiles lounge, but wasn't being used. American is subleasing it for the time being.

There are news about TAM's lounge at GIG. They have won a bid for a new lounge, slightly bigger than the old one. We will have to wait a few months though, since it will take a while for it to be built. Let's hope it gets done before TAM exits Star.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Any update on the new TAM lounge at GIG?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:21 pm

Can anyone confirm what lounges are currently open at GIG? There locations (terminal) would be helpful too!

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
Can anyone confirm what lounges are currently open at GIG? There locations (terminal) would be helpful too!

Thanks so much!
According to star alliance . com

TAM SEA VIP Lounge in T1 open 0500-1300 & 1730-0000
Contract for UA SEA VIP Lounge in T1 open 24 hours
Contract for LH SEA/Proair VIP Lounge in T2 open 0600-0030
Contract for LH & TP Sala VIP Smiles in T2 open 0600-2300
Contract for UA & US Varig Lounge in T2
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Any updates to this? The star alliance lounge finder now shows nothing. Since TAM left I guess.

I'm not travelling Star Alliance (it's Avianca Brasil) but I think I'm gonna end up there really early, so lounge access would be nice if I could get in somewhere as Star Gold.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

International or domestic?

For international there are a couple lounges and you'll get a pass from the check-in counter to use the one the airline contracts with. None operated by *A members in the building, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.