Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Who next for the alliance!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who next for the alliance!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by bpjapan
Let's get Royal Air Maroc, Oman Air, Uzbekistan, Transaero and Jet Airways (India). Also let ASKY join for coverage in West Africa and TAAG in Angola. The biggest prize of course is Virgin - Australia and UK. If US buys AA then Virgin America could join Star. The only other worthwhile carrier after all of this could be Lion of Indonesia - but it would be better if SQ relented and let Silk Air join.
Let air India join oneworld - their service is the same as QFs.
A russian carrier is needed, so transaero or UTair would fill that. ASKY would be useful for west africa and easy to bring in given their current ties to ethiopian. That being said, they're still small and should be given time to grow before being brought on. Virgin Atlantic and Australia would both be nice additions, particularly Virgin Australia, but they seem content staying unaligned for the moment. Virgin America would only provide additional west coast coverage at United's current west coast hubs, USairways large east coast network would still be missing. I can't see them joining as they don't add much value and compete directly with united. Silkair would be awesome, but I don't know if Singapore Airlines will ever bring them on. Lion Air is an LCC. While they would bring considerable scale to the table, I'm not sure how interested they would be in joining.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
[Crystal Ball]

If Any airline in India would make it to *A, it will be AI, not 9W first. 9W may join, but it won't be until AI joins as a prelim member first.

[/Crystal Ball]
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
The 9w/AI issue is so sticky and confusing so we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Star have lost ground in numerous places including Britain(BD) and Spain(JK) and soon probably Brazil(JJ) and maybe even less market share in America(US) but with UA around it is hardly a big issue. By LH/AC anti-gulf policy QR is joining OW despite having strong links to Star.

Not all bad though, Avianca-Taca is a good second best in South America and EVA has a tidy network.

UTair look pretty decent, they have a strong Russian domestic network despite being based in VKO. Transaero appear to be more of a charter/vacation airline. Doesn't UTair also have a Ukrainian subsidy? That could strengthen Eastern Europe.

I agree that Gulf Air or Oman air could be good additions. They have reasonable regional networks, alliances usually look for airlines with a good domestic/regional network, they also wouldn't be a threat or step on too many toes.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
I'd love to have El Al in Star... although that might hurt our chances of ever seeing one of the Gulf carriers.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Oct 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
UTair look pretty decent, they have a strong Russian domestic network despite being based in VKO. Transaero appear to be more of a charter/vacation airline. Doesn't UTair also have a Ukrainian subsidy? That could strengthen Eastern Europe.
UTair does have a Ukranian wing, but from what I understand, it's pretty small. In addition, it operates out of the smaller airport in Kiev, so there's no connectivity to be had with other alliance carriers.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:08 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
For me, I wish they would welcome one of the Middle Eastern airlines... Etihad and Qatar are gone, Emirates kinda gone with Qantas...

What's left? They usually offer very good rates between Europe and Asia...
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by enelym1978
For me, I wish they would welcome one of the Middle Eastern airlines... Etihad and Qatar are gone, Emirates kinda gone with Qantas...

What's left? They usually offer very good rates between Europe and Asia...
Kuwait Airways is an option - they serve JFK and a not so insignificant number of European destinations with a good network in the Middle East, and Southeast Asia. Not sure how their service is though, and the fleet looks dated... lots of A300's and A310's.

Somebody mentioned Oman Air and Gulf Air... personally I'd prefer Kuwait only because neither of the other two serve any destinations in the Americas.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Kuwait Airways is an option - they serve JFK and a not so insignificant number of European destinations with a good network in the Middle East, and Southeast Asia. Not sure how their service is though, and the fleet looks dated... lots of A300's and A310's.

Somebody mentioned Oman Air and Gulf Air... personally I'd prefer Kuwait only because neither of the other two serve any destinations in the Americas.
+1 I think KU may have a decent chance of getting in. KU is not too big and may be a good partner for UA's flight to KWI.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, Virgin Atlantic is in "fairly advanced talks" to join an alliance. They might be on the horizon, though I'm betting against *A for them.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'd love to have El Al in Star... although that might hurt our chances of ever seeing one of the Gulf carriers.
This isn't going to happen. El Al offers nothing to any alliance - it merely creates problems. Each alliance already serves TLV from every direction.

Kuwait Airways is one of the worst carriers on the planet. Stay away.

Oman Air and Gulf Air are much better, albeit smaller.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
This isn't going to happen. El Al offers nothing to any alliance - it merely creates problems. Each alliance already serves TLV from every direction.

Kuwait Airways is one of the worst carriers on the planet. Stay away.

Oman Air and Gulf Air are much better, albeit smaller.
I know you will disagree but I doubt they are worse than AI.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, Virgin Atlantic is in "fairly advanced talks" to join an alliance. They might be on the horizon, though I'm betting against *A for them.
I have my doubts if any carrier would want them. The various subsidiaries could also pose a problem.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I know you will disagree but I doubt they are worse than AI.
AI sucks when things go wrong.
KU sucks all the time.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA, SQ, AC
yes but...

I think it is a case of filling the holes in Star. Oman Air, Jet (india) Uzebekistan, Royal Air Maroc. I would have wanted Air Astana, but apparently they are close to a deal with Etihad (hence the shift from DXB to AUH) Oops, almost forgot Virgin UK and Virgin Australia.

If Star ever thinks of letting AI join, I'm moving to Skyteam.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
KU sucks all the time.
At least not the time I flew it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.