Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Noob Question: Stick with *A for Domestic US Travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the wealth of information you have shared on these forums. I searched the threads in this sub-forum but didn't an answer, so I am starting this, potentially forgivable in time, n00b thread.

I am based in Singapore and I am a Krisflyer member (a former Elite Silver member, sadly...). I accrue points that can be converted to Krisflyer or AsiaMiles with the DBS Amex Altitude card. I rarely fly US domestic trips.

I am flying SIN-JFK on an eco-value ANA roundtrip ticket. From there, I am flying JFK-AUS-SFO-JFK. The SIN-JFK mileage is 10,084. I'm getting 6.2 miles per SGD spent. The total domestic US mileage is 5,637 according to the Star Alliance mileage calculator.

Is it worth sticking with Star Alliance flights for my domestic US trips? I rarely fly United/US Airways, so points accrued to those programs will be essentially worthless, or am I overlooking something?

Also, are there creative uses for the ANA points I would have accrued? Is it advisable, or even possible, to use them for the US domestic trips, for example?

What else would you recommend to maximise my mileage accrual?

Thank you!

Last edited by joonian; Feb 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:38 pm

Is there a reason you aren't just crediting the US/United miles to your KrisFlyer account? As long as the fare code earns miles you should be able to have them post to your KrisFlyer account. Same with the ANA miles. You should be able to post those to your Kris account as well.

If you have them post to some other account they'll just go to waste.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

@Javacodeguy -- Um, the only reason is sheer misinformation, I suppose! After much surfing of the alliance and airline sites, I came to the mistaken conclusion that miles earned are not interchangeable between partner airlines. If I can post everything to Krisflyer I suppose that's what I shall do. Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joonian
@Javacodeguy -- Um, the only reason is sheer misinformation, I suppose! After much surfing of the alliance and airline sites, I came to the mistaken conclusion that miles earned are not interchangeable between partner airlines. If I can post everything to Krisflyer I suppose that's what I shall do. Thanks!
You cannot switch US Airways miles to Singapore Airlines miles for example, but you can give US Airways your Singapore Airlines number, and they will give you Singapore miles instead...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:18 am
Original Poster

PVDtoDEL: Thanks, I understand now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.