Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Round the World Award Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A, HHonors Gold

After extensive googling and many different results, I've come to the final place for help on getting the facts on a *A RTW Award Ticket

* The *A site has no info on Award Tickets that I could find.
* Continental tells you the miles required for a RTW ticket (160k econ, 220k bus) but no info on stops.
* United says "You can have five stopovers on a RTW Award Ticket".
* Lufthansa says "seven stopovers, ten segments and 180k for econ, 325 for bus".
* I called Continental and was transferred to the *A team and told that you can have six stopovers, but 16 coupons.

What is the real deal on how this works?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelomaniac;
After extensive googling and many different results, I've come to the final place for help on getting the facts on a *A RTW Award Ticket

Welcome to FlyerTalk, michaelomaniac.

That's because there is in fact no such thing as a *A RTW Award ticket. RTW awards, like all awards, are offered and administered by the individual FFPs. Wherever you have the miles / points that you want to use, that's whom you have to ask.

cheers,

Henry
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, the info you got from Continental that you shared above is accurate. It is also worth noting that their award chart - currently the best in *A for RTW awards in my opinion - is going to change on June 15 and they will be a much worse value.

Where are your miles accrued? That will drive the real rules that you need to understand and play by.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by michaelomaniac

* Continental tells you the miles required for a RTW ticket (160k econ, 220k bus) but no info on stops.
* United says "You can have five stopovers on a RTW Award Ticket".
* Lufthansa says "seven stopovers, ten segments and 180k for econ, 325 for bus".
* I called Continental and was transferred to the *A team and told that you can have six stopovers, but 16 coupons.

What is the real deal on how this works?
Welcome to FT, michaelomaniac! As henry999 has said, while there is a *A RTW for a paid ticket, there is no such thing for award tickets. So the rules for this differ (a lot!) depending on the Frequent Flyer Program you have your miles in. The LH Miles and More RTW for example will need a lot more miles than a Continental RTW.
So if your miles are with CO then only the CO information is the relevant one, even if some of your flights might be operated by LH, TG etc. The CO forum will also have a lot of information on how to use such an award.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A, HHonors Gold
My miles are all in Amex points, so I can transfer them to almost whichever airline I want (BA, CO, Delta, Qantas, etc). I was thinking about honeymoon to Australia and Male through Singapore.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:47 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by michaelomaniac
My miles are all in Amex points, so I can transfer them to almost whichever airline I want (BA, CO, Delta, Qantas, etc). I was thinking about honeymoon to Australia and Male through Singapore.
Unless you have an Australian Amex (Platinum Charge or Centurion) you can't transfer to Qantas. Also the transfer to CO will stop in the near future. I would try to research a RTW using CO and if you know the dates and flights transfer the points and make the booking. Puzzling a RTW award together is no easy and will take a lot of time.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS
Hoping to revive this conversation and see if there were any updated experiences when trying to book a RTW Award trip.

My miles are with Singapore Air and they have the below on their website.

Star Alliance Round the World Awards

With Round The World Awards, you can travel around the world with the flexibility of multiple stopovers. Circle the globe and visit up to seven cities of your choice for just 180,000 KrisFlyer miles in Economy Class, 240,000 KrisFlyer miles in Business Class and 360,000 KrisFlyer miles in First Class.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by shiff
Hoping to revive this conversation and see if there were any updated experiences when trying to book a RTW Award trip.

My miles are with Singapore Air and they have the below on their website.

Star Alliance Round the World Awards

With Round The World Awards, you can travel around the world with the flexibility of multiple stopovers. Circle the globe and visit up to seven cities of your choice for just 180,000 KrisFlyer miles in Economy Class, 240,000 KrisFlyer miles in Business Class and 360,000 KrisFlyer miles in First Class.
Since these rules are specific to SQ and not Star-generic you should discuss this on the SQ board.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS

I'm not sure I agree - it clearly states Star Alliance, not Krisflyer, and it's the same topic as the original post.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why don't you follow the advice?

The rules for the RTW award will be those of SQ since it's their program..... and the SQ-board will give you the best answers.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:12 am

nice Informations i never thougt that it al is so expensive...
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Sabrina20
nice Informations i never thougt that it al is so expensive...
You can fly RTW in Business class on *A using 90K USDM, right? US-Europe (stopover)-North Asia (destination) - US.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, and that will allow you 2 stops, instead of 15....
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by RTW1
Yes, and that will allow you 2 stops, instead of 15....
No reward RTW will allow you 15 stops.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The poster reviving this old thread was clearly talking about a paid RTW, awards are not "so expensive".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.