Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

will bags be transferred automatically?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying SEA -> SFO on United and then transferring (after about a 2-hour stopover) on a different itinerary to an SFO -> SIN flight on Singapore Airlines.

My question is whether, given that both flights are on Star Alliance airlines, my bags will be transferred automatically. Or will I need to retrieve my bags in SFO and then check in again for the international leg of the journey? And will 2 hours be a long enough stopover for this?

Thanks for any info!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
United will normally check bags through to another *A carrier once you can show them the second itinerary as a courtesy. However, they're not obliged to - so keep that in mind. One of the downsides of booking two seperate tickets!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
2 hours is long enough if SEA-SFO flight is roughly on time, but not long enough if it is delayed (eg by 1+ hours).
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:53 pm

And don't forget to show the bag tags to the international carrier. Otherwise they likely will left behind for security reasons.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
when you check in & check bags, show both e tickees, ask that your bags be checked thru....the first carrier wouldn't know about the 2nd.....

however, i have been asked "is xyz your final destination today?" when checking bags, which some ta's do to help......good luck...
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Yep - just tell them final destination is SIN via SQ on a different ticket and your bags will be checked through. Do check the tags just to be sure...

I once travelled on a connection to an award tickets and DL agent checked my bags all the way through (she actually even changed my LGA flight to JFK so I wouldnt have to cross the airports to make my award flight)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:50 pm
cja

Programs: UA Prem Exec, DL Gold Medallion
Happened to me before, and mine even had an overnight connection (DCA-ORD-HKG via UA, then HKG-MNL via CX). The check-in counter service agent was unsure if she could do it, but since the only reason I was having an overnight connection was due to a mess up with UA, she checked my luggaged all the way through. So it is definitely doable. Just make sure that when you check in, request that your bags be checked all the way thru to your final destination, and most importantly, confirm the baggage tags that they are accurately tagged to SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.