Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

United Miles on Air India codeshare with Sin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold

Hi!

I am flying from SIngapore to Kuala Lumpur this upcoming week. it is book on air india but the plane is operated by singapore airlines... should i use my mileage plus number (which will put me to 1k) for the flight or should I use my LH miles and more card?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I do not think you will be able to have these miles credit to UA. Air India's partners are only SQ and LH. I think you will have to credit them to Miles & More.

https://www.flyingreturns.co.in/html/ap_cs.php
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:59 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow in our Star Alliance forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bharucfd
Hi!

I am flying from SIngapore to Kuala Lumpur this upcoming week. it is book on air india but the plane is operated by singapore airlines... should i use my mileage plus number (which will put me to 1k) for the flight or should I use my LH miles and more card?

Thanks!
In *A it is always the operating carrier that determines if you can earn miles or not. Since your flight is operated by SQ, you can use your M+ card to collect miles for the flight, irrespective of the AI flight number you booked it with. However you need to make sure that your AI booking class translates into a SQ booking class that is eligible for mileage earning.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
In *A it is always the operating carrier that determines if you can earn miles or not. Since your flight is operated by SQ, you can use your M+ card to collect miles for the flight, irrespective of the AI flight number you booked it with. However you need to make sure that your AI booking class translates into a SQ booking class that is eligible for mileage earning.
If this is true, then I may also do the same thing next year. It's at leas $600 less to buy the AI flights instead of the SQ one's.

Please let us know what you end up doing OP and let us know if they credit to MP.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have not had luck getting credit in this mannner, either with UA or BD.

I flew the MH/SQ flights between SIN/KUL for several years and sometimes I just had to buy the ticket on MH stock (because it was the last one for sale and I wanted to get home). I could never get BD or UA credit, in fact I once stepped behind the SQ check in counter and looked at the screen and it said something like "invalid marketing partner." I opened an Enrich account and as many times as this happened to me, the miles (not surprisingly) didnt really pile up.

I noticed the AI codeshares on the SIN/BKK route are DIRT cheap- $213 RT vs. $900 on SQ coded flights. Pretty funny, one of those scenarios where the cheaper flights probably win out over getting miles.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Be careful - not all fares on SQ earn miles on MP. Sometimes codeshares confuse this because the marketing carrier's fare classes don't always mesh up with the operating carrier's fare classes.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Be careful - not all fares on SQ earn miles on MP. Sometimes codeshares confuse this because the marketing carrier's fare classes don't always mesh up with the operating carrier's fare classes.
Also if rules have not changed, even if one segment on SQ does not earn miles the entire SQ itin will not earn miles.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Also if rules have not changed, even if one segment on SQ does not earn miles the entire SQ itin will not earn miles.
Correct, with one ineligible SQ segment all other SQ Eco segments in that itinerary will not earn miles either, however SQ Biz or First segments will.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Any update on this?

I'm keen to know what Air India codeshare, operated by Singapore Airlines in W class actually maps to in practice.

Anyone got a boarding pass that shows it?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by jbfield
Any update on this?

I'm keen to know what Air India codeshare, operated by Singapore Airlines in W class actually maps to in practice.

Anyone got a boarding pass that shows it?
I had AI Q on SIN-CCU map to SQ H

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...omplete-2.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.