Search

Bag Fees - Crazy?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Bag Fees - Crazy?!

I haven't looked at a Spirit ticket in a while (since, you know, friends don't let friends fly Spirit) but was just curious to compare pricing to other airlines.
Yeah their base ticket prices are a little better, but the bag fees are absolutely insane. Seriously, 55-75 and higher for a carry on or checked bag each way? And it varies based on the flight date/schedule etc.

Why does anyone actually fly this airline? It is cheaper to ship your luggage than paying them the exorbitant bag fees that are often more then the ticket price, and their customer service is abysmal if there are any issues or disruptions.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
I haven't looked at a Spirit ticket in a while (since, you know, friends don't let friends fly Spirit) but was just curious to compare pricing to other airlines.
Yeah their base ticket prices are a little better, but the bag fees are absolutely insane. Seriously, 55-75 and higher for a carry on or checked bag each way? And it varies based on the flight date/schedule etc.

Why does anyone actually fly this airline? It is cheaper to ship your luggage than paying them the exorbitant bag fees that are often more then the ticket price, and their customer service is abysmal if there are any issues or disruptions.
for those that happen to have status whereby bags are free, it's still a significant savings; last month, flew 1-way from TX to LAS for 2.5k pts with free carry-on, xtra legroom seat & comp snack & drink; so not bad...
jjbiv likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 6:02 pm

Not everyone needs a bag. You can fit the essentials in a personal item for free. Or if multiple people are traveling together, you can fit a lot of stuff for multiple people in a 40 lb. checked bag. Or like you said ship your belongings. Like anything else, it makes sense for some people and not so much for others.
Rob562 and ovacikar like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:52 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by rylan

If you need to take a bunch of bags, it isn't the airline for you. Then again, I have Gold status so I don't have to pay for the first bag... But I fly them because I can go back and forth to Florida once a week for $31 all in including tax with just my backpack, and for another $100 round trip sit in a Big Front Seat.
jjbiv and Rob562 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by JAXPax
If you need to take a bunch of bags, it isn't the airline for you. Then again, I have Gold status so I don't have to pay for the first bag... But I fly them because I can go back and forth to Florida once a week for $31 all in including tax with just my backpack, and for another $100 round trip sit in a Big Front Seat.
is $50 an average bidding win for a BFS?
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:04 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by danhouston
Pretty close on the routes I'm flying most often mid-week for bid or frequently get the 15% discount offer. But I've found $60-75 regular published BFS prices on like EWR-CHS or CLT-LGA.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:56 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by danhouston
You can also just pay the BFS fee (either during the booking flow, or sometime after); in the same way their fee seems to correlate with stage length, presumably so does the average winning bid.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Just because a fee is high does NOT mean the overall price is still not attractive. People are so obsessed over "nickle and dimes" that they will pay more overall. Just booked a round-trip flight, with 1 bag, with my other half for $350 total. We can share the luggage and pack the rest in a carryon just fine. Not only this, but it was a perfectly timed direct-flight. The competition wasn't even close.
jjbiv and Jennlynd like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:42 pm

I have a SWA CP and it is often still cheaper for me and my daughter to fly spirit with bags and seats than fly SWA these days. We usually share one bag if we need one at all. But now I have gold thanks to the status match, so it will probably beat out SWA everytime.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Jennlynd
I have a SWA CP and it is often still cheaper for me and my daughter to fly spirit with bags and seats than fly SWA these days. We usually share one bag if we need one at all. But now I have gold thanks to the status match, so it will probably beat out SWA everytime.
I too have noticed that on routes I fly, Southwest has become a lot more expensive across a wide variety of seasons and days of the week. Just the market at work I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.