Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
So this will be a LOT easier if you can do it without hold luggage. If you must get hold luggage, then try to get them to through check, though it's doubtful.

Anyway. Without having to collect luggage, you disembark, walk to the center area of T4S and then go through security for your connecting flights.

If you have to collect luggage, you need to follow the indications to exit and go through passport control then down to the train to T4. There you will collect your luggage (priority tags have been working better lately, but don't assume anything and this can be awhile). After that follow the signs out and then up the ramps or the lifts to the Iberia check in desks. The business desks are toward the right when looking at the check-in counters from the entrance (or to the left when walking out of baggage claim).

So check-in get boarding pass and then you can go through fast track security to the right of the main security. From there go down to the train again to get back to T4S (tip...take the lift) and once you get down you'll go through passport control again and be in the departures area of T4S. The IB lounge is located in the duty free store.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:13 pm

I'm doing a MR routing CPT-LHR-BCN and then BCN-LHR-CPT. It's a same day return, do I need a transit visa and do I need to do the check-in at the counter in BCN? Layover between two leg is about 4 hrs

Thank you
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I'd give that a 50/50 assuming everything goes right. No need to add that even a 15 or 20 minute delay or a long queue at passport control makes it untenable.

And that's as someone that knows the airport very well.
As a follow-up - I ended up booking via BCN on the way to Spain, and giving myself a 3+ hour layover in MAD on the way back (Iberia domestic to UA international), which I think should be more than enough time to make the trek to Terminal 1.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Yiran Liu
I'm doing a MR routing CPT-LHR-BCN and then BCN-LHR-CPT. It's a same day return, do I need a transit visa and do I need to do the check-in at the counter in BCN? Layover between two leg is about 4 hrs

Thank you
1. This is the thread about MAD, not BCN
2. This depends on your passport
3. You will need the right to enter Spain in order to board in ZA in the first place. Good luck explaining "oh, but I'm not leaving the airport and coming right back home"
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
I land in Madrid at 1:20pm on November 20th but would like to ideally spend my first few days of my trip in San Sebastian. My only options are fly to bilbao and bus it over to San Sebastian which seems excessive, Take a bus to San Sebastian, or take the Train over there. It looks like the train will be the most relaxing option. My question is:

1. How long will it take to get through customs at that time of the day on a Tuesday?
2. How easy is it to find a transfer to Madrid Chamartin (the train station)?
3. How much time should I allot for security prior to boarding the train (I've heard baggage on Spanish trains actually gets screened)?

Thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL
If you are landing at the T4, you'll have easy access to take a train to Chamartin. It's maybe 15 minutes. I've taken several AVEs within Spain and try to get there about 30 minutes before the train's departure time.

Not sure about the immigration line in the early afternoon. I'm typically there before 10AM. Have fun.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:33 pm

If you have checked luggage, the time to get through immigration is zero. This is because, after you do it and take the transit to T4 you will still have to wait a bit for your bags, which easily take 50 min from the time the plane doors open.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:06 am

Why not just fly directly to EAS, particularly if you can get an avios redemption?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:34 pm

Why not just fly directly to EAS, particularly if you can get an avios redemption?
It was cheaper to fly round trip to MAD. Ill be there in the area for 30+ days so price was a factor and being based in the US, I have no avios.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Shocker077
It was cheaper to fly round trip to MAD. Ill be there in the area for 30+ days so price was a factor and being based in the US, I have no avios.
Do you have transferrable Chase points? Those can become avios very easily.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:46 am

Do you have transferrable Chase points? Those can become avios very easily.
Nope. Citi Thank You, and probably not enough for anything of worth.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:04 am

The yeah, if you can't get a short redemption on oneworld with another partner, the best bet is probably the bus directly from T4.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:05 pm

LIS-MAD-DFW

Flying from LIS to MAD on Iberia, then from MAD to DFW on AA. There is a 2:15 hour layover. The flights are on the same reservation, booked via AA.

Is two hours doable?

Will I have to go through security, customs/immigration, recheck bags open arrival in MAD?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by dascc
Flying from LIS to MAD on Iberia, then from MAD to DFW on AA. There is a 2:15 hour layover. The flights are on the same reservation, booked via AA.

Is two hours doable?

Will I have to go through security, customs/immigration, recheck bags open arrival in MAD?
Hi,

2 hours is fine.

As you are coming in from LIS, you should arrive at T4 ( main building) then follow signs for the shuttle train to T4S where the MAD-DFW flight will leave from so you will remain airside
There is no main security or customs/immigration but there will be a passport check at T4S after you get off the train before getting into the departures hall.
There will probably be an additional security check prior to boarding the AA flight ( or any flights to the US) at the gate area.

Regards

TBS​​​​​​​
dascc likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

2 hours is fine.

As you are coming in from LIS, you should arrive at T4 ( main building) then follow signs for the shuttle train to T4S where the MAD-DFW flight will leave from so you will remain airside
There is no main security or customs/immigration but there will be a passport check at T4S after you get off the train before getting into the departures hall.
There will probably be an additional security check prior to boarding the AA flight ( or any flights to the US) at the gate area.

Regards

TBS
​​​​​​​thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.