Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAD T4S to Atocha

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Silver, Sindbad Silver, Le Club Accor Gold, Flying Blue, IHG, Enrich
MAD T4S to Atocha

We'll be arriving in MAD T4S on Iberia (Business class) at 14:15. Our intention is to then take the Renfe AVE to Seville. I'm assuming that we should take the Cercanias train to Madrid Atocha but, what's the earliest departure time we should consider booking for the train to Seville? If it makes any difference we'd be travelling on a Tuesday in August & we'll probably pay for First Class.

With regards to Renfe, I was trying to register for their MAS RENFE program which is offering 10% off your first ticket, however, I've hit a stumbling block on the registration page with the post code - it would seem that it will only accept a Spanish post code. Would there be any negative implications of using any Spanish post code i.e. our hotel in Seville?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Grab a taxi, will be faster and cheaper. Especially no luggage. No value in my view to take public transport given inexpensive taxi. I reckon it would take you around 25-30 mis max to get to Atocha from T4.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by JFSV
Grab a taxi, will be faster and cheaper. Especially no luggage. No value in my view to take public transport given inexpensive taxi. I reckon it would take you around 25-30 mis max to get to Atocha from T4.
Yep, this. Especially with Atocha under construction.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
I just did this on Sunday, no checked bag. Landed early from JFK at 7:45am because of the jetstream, stupidly took the metro instead of the Cercanías, and was still at Atocha by 9:15 with almost four hours to kill before my Iryo train to Córdoba (Seville) at 12:55pm.

Last edited by sambagrrl07; Feb 21, 2024 at 1:43 am Reason: Correction
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:41 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Lookng at August 6th....there's a 1400, 1559 and 1707. The 1559 is possible but unlikely given Passport control waiting time in August. 1707 then?

Originally Posted by JFSV
Train to Atocha will be free if OP has an AVE ticket to Seville.
Train is 30min, not much slower than a taxi, especially if there's traffic and tourists queueing for taxis.

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Yep, this. Especially with Atocha under construction.
Chamartin is the station with construction.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Silver, Sindbad Silver, Le Club Accor Gold, Flying Blue, IHG, Enrich
Originally Posted by csycsycsy
Lookng at August 6th....there's a 1400, 1559 and 1707. The 1559 is possible but unlikely given Passport control waiting time in August. 1707 then?

Train to Atocha will be free if OP has an AVE ticket to Seville.
Train is 30min, not much slower than a taxi, especially if there's traffic and tourists queueing for taxis.

Chamartin is the station with construction.
I was looking the 17:07. Am I right in thinking that with a flexible ticket for the 17:07, if we arrive at Atocha early, we could switch to the 15:59, if there’s availability of course.

We’ll have suitcase's with us so, would this favour the train over the Taxi as suggested by others? I would prefer to take the train.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by JDP1970
I was looking the 17:07. Am I right in thinking that with a flexible ticket for the 17:07, if we arrive at Atocha early, we could switch to the 15:59, if there’s availability of course.

We’ll have suitcase's with us so, would this favour the train over the Taxi as suggested by others? I would prefer to take the train.
https://www.renfe.com/es/en/travel/p...ia/all-tickets
Since you said "First", that would be the Elige Comfort or Premium
"Puente AVE" (same day free change-like) says 5E fee for EC and free for P.

Would a taxi fit all the your suitcases?
Here's a video of taking the train from T4
2min is the arrivals area
2:20 is after the ramp down to the train station
6:20 is ticket gate and platform

easy peasy

JDP1970 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:00 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Remember, there are now 3 train operating companies in Spain, so check all of them for more alternatives. avlo (by renfe) only has one train it seems, but iryo has quite a few and a flexible tariff for only a few €€ more than the basic one, allowing same-day changes for free.
JDP1970 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:45 am
Original Poster

https://www.renfe.com/es/en/travel/p...ia/all-tickets
Since you said "First", that would be the Elige Comfort or Premium
"Puente AVE" (same day free change-like) says 5E fee for EC and free for P.

Would a taxi fit all the your suitcases?
Here's a video of taking the train from T4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsYQVOY1RG0
2min is the arrivals area
2:20 is after the ramp down to the train station
6:20 is ticket gate and platform

easy peasy
It would have to be a large Taxi.
The train certainly seems the best option. How busy is the train likely to be at that time of day?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:08 am

It would have to be a large Taxi.
The train certainly seems the best option. How busy is the train likely to be at that time of day?
Full of visitors, barely any locals (August, 2pm weekday), but these are large commuter trains with more space than metro trains.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Full of visitors, barely any locals (August, 2pm weekday), but these are large commuter trains with more space than metro trains.
Thanks. It sounds like we'd have no problems with our luggage then so, I guess it's going to be the 17:07. I'm assuming it's best to book it now, rather than waiting until closer to the date?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Thanks. It sounds like we'd have no problems with our luggage then so, I guess it's going to be the 17:07. I'm assuming it's best to book it now, rather than waiting until closer to the date?
I would pay the extra few euros to allow for a change on ticket later in case you have any unexpected travel changes, whether in advance or a flight delay.
JDP1970 and pbiflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.