Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid to Valencia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Madrid to Valencia

Will be flying to Madrid on 2/25 and have decided to continue to Valencia for a few days. We arrive at 8;35am on the 26th and I'm trying to decide whether to fly to book a flight to Valencia ( if so how much time should I give myself to clear customs and get to new gate) or take a high speed train from Madrid to Valencia.
Can I catch a train directly from the airport to Valencia and do I need to go into town and make the transfer?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Seems like the first flight available after 0835 is 1515-1615 UX or 1600-1705 IB.
The 1130 train arrives 1321, assuming your hotel is near the train station and you can drop off your bags (or early check in) then you can grab lunch at 1400. Sun sets at late-6pm instead of a long lunch it can also a whole afternoon exploring.
However, what would your jet lag situation be? If arriving to MAD at T4, after collecting and rechecking your luggage, you can be at the IB lounge by late 9ish and there's a nice sleeping room with secured lockers. (OW/IB lounge has no entry only 3 hours before departure time limit). Waking at 2pm, you can shower then have the IB buffet lunch before the 4pm flight. Landing at 5pm you can have dinner at Spanish hours of 8-9pm etc. If jetlag is going to be a problem and taking the train option, doing the commuter train to Chamartin, waiting for the train at Chamartin, taking turns napping on the train whilst watching valuables is not that comfy.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
There are lots of trains but you will have to transfer to Atocha. The advantage being you arrive right into the middle of Valencia.

Personally, I'd just see when you arrive and buy the ticket for Valencia at the airport Renfe office (give yourself an hour or so for the transfer between cercanías delays and navigating the stations)
spainlover and pbiflyer like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Would definitely suggest the train vs flying.
When I moved to Valencia from NYC 2 years ago (now living in Barcelona), I had booked a connecting flight as I had a lot of luggage (moving!!). I missed the connection due to long customs lines and there were no other flights on Iberia/associated for 8 hours and that and following one were sold out. I ended up paying for a hotel and flying the next day as with 3 checked bags, they wouldn’t switch me to a train.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
There are lots of trains but you will have to transfer to Atocha. The advantage being you arrive right into the middle of Valencia.
Nope!

@csycsycsy addresses this already.

I also got caught out when booking my mamá’s flight-rail combo ticket to Alicante, I was surprised to see Chamartín as the starting station on the ticket and investigated.

Since January 2023 the AVE and fast trains to Valencia (and Alicante) haven’t been departing from Atocha. They all begin at Chamartín and this will continue until 2028.

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 18, 2024 at 2:32 am
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by LapLap
Nope!

@csycsycsy addresses this already.

I also got caught out when booking my mamá’s flight-rail combo ticket to Alicante, I was surprised to see Chamartín as the starting station on the ticket and investigated.

Since January 2023 the AVE and fast trains to Valencia (and Alicante) haven’t been departing from Atocha. They all begin at Chamartín and this will continue until 2028.
Just looked into it and it seems they are leaving from both stations now. So....you have to look at each specific train. Obviously much easier for Chamrtín if coming from the Airport though. Also maybe be sure to look on trainline to check all the companies as it's not just Renfe/AVLO operating the route now as Ouigo and Iryo are also on the route. (I haven't used them, but hear Iryo is probably the best operator aside from AVE preferente which is waaaaay more expensive)
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Just looked into it and it seems they are leaving from both stations now. So....you have to look at each specific train. Obviously much easier for Chamrtín if coming from the Airport though. Also maybe be sure to look on trainline to check all the companies as it's not just Renfe/AVLO operating the route now as Ouigo and Iryo are also on the route. (I haven't used them, but hear Iryo is probably the best operator aside from AVE preferente which is waaaaay more expensive)
Thanks, I saw this from last year saying that the AVE service to Alicante/Valencia from Atocha was suspended until 2028, but there’s obviously a lot more going on
https://www.elespanol.com/alicante/2...8925224_0.html
It mentions an exception being a line that continues from Alicante to Orihuela. Oh, and a particular Saturday service.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Originally Posted by LapLap
Thanks, I saw this from last year saying that the AVE service to Alicante/Valencia from Atocha was suspended until 2028, but there’s obviously a lot more going on
https://www.elespanol.com/alicante/2...8925224_0.html
It mentions an exception being a line that continues from Alicante to Orihuela. Oh, and a particular Saturday service.
the vast majority of trains to Valencia (and Alicante) now go in and out of Chamartín. There still are a couple/several a day to Atocha, so yes need to check. Also true on different train companies running them.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:51 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The question has been asked and answered in the European Rail Travel forum as well. Please follow discussion there.
Madrid to Valencia

/mod
spainlover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.